Should I jailbreak with only a few days to go?

Matt

Bronze
May 10, 2007
There are only a few days until 2.0 is released, but my friend just jailbroke his phone and I never realized how cool some of the stuff is. My question is should I just wait a few more days and do it the right way through Apple or should I jailbrake now and have cool apps right away? Any input is welcome. Thanks

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
might as well do it now. it's easy as hell, and easily undone like tony said.

Matt

Bronze
May 10, 2007
that's what I was thinking. Will you get in any sort of trouble with Apple? Like with warranty or things like that?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yes, it technically voids your warranty. but being that you can always restore, there's no way Apple can ever know you did it.

Matt

Bronze
May 10, 2007
which should I use? ziPhone or pwnage?

Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
I'd go for it. There may be apps only available to jailbroken phones for months after the release of the app store.

I've had nothing but success with ziPhone.

Make sure to give the stickied threads in the mod forum a read before diving in. Good luck!

Matt

Bronze
May 10, 2007
yes I have been looking into them. They seem to be very helpful! I found ZiPhone first and it looks very easy to do. but I have read in a lot of different places that pwnage is the best.

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
yes I have been looking into them. They seem to be very helpful! I found ZiPhone first and it looks very easy to do. but I have read in a lot of different places that pwnage is the best.
ZiPhone, hands down. But whichever method you decide to use, go ahead and jailbreak. You don't know what 2.0 will offer, none of us do. Have fun. :cool:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if you're on a mac, i'd recommend iDemocracy. I think it has less quirky side effects than ZiPhone.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
my biggest issue was when i had a hardware problem with my connection port on the bottom, and couldnt restore. i forced it into recovery mode, but sometimes it would boot normally (which was really weird, maybe 20-25% of the time).

Luckily I was able to ssh onto the phone and remove all the software and make it look stock so i could send it back to Apple, for which they gave me a replacement.

mine was jailbroken from day 2 of owning it back in last august, knowing i could always restore. it sucks when your one way of backing out is what craps out on you.

id still do it again, if i still had my iPhone (my wife wanted it, so its hers now. shes been asking me to jb it for a week now).

Matt

Bronze
May 10, 2007
I JAILBROKE IT!

its awesome! I was up till 3 in the morning last night going through installer and playing with all of the cool apps! I wish I would have done this a lot sooner! haha oh well I have it now! Thanks everyone! Now What are some good apps for me to get?

Matt

Bronze
May 10, 2007
oh btw I used Ziphoine... Worked well no problems at all! :laugh2:

Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
...Now What are some good apps for me to get?
Congrats on breaking!

Here's a list of some cool apps courtesy of John. I would personally stay away from anything Skrew puts out, like vWallpaper, iToday & Ringtones.. oh and Kate. Do not install Kate. They cause more headaches than they're worth. You might need to add the source in installer for a few of these which would require a little sluething around the forums to find.

SysInfo: Information on the processes running on your iPhone.
Snapture: Professional features for the iPhone camera.
MxTube: YouTube video downloading and playback.
ShowTime or iPhone Video Recorder: Video recording.
BossPrefs: Services (SSH, WiFi, EDGE, etc.) toggling.
Finder: Filesystem access.
Sketches: An Etch-a-Sketch for the iPhone.
Pianist: A piano.
Guitarist: A guitar.
Drummer: A drum pad.
Wallpaper: Share and download wallpapers.
vWallpaper: Use videos as your background wallpaper.
vNotes: Voice recording.
IMGSvaer: Save image from Safari to the Camera Roll.
AVPlayer: Movie-playing application.
Ringtones: Convert your music into ringtones.
VNsea/Touchpad: VNC client.
iRadio: Radio for the iPhone.
Twinkle: Awesome Twitter application.

Matt

Bronze
May 10, 2007
yes I did he his sticky at the top. So after I jailbroke, I went through and got most of those apps. Some didn't work like the ringtone one... Couldn't find it?

Another question is how do I get roms to play NES? Im going to do a little research but any input would point me in the right direction! Thanks again EIC crew

jjsquizz

Bronze
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles
I JAILBROKE IT!

its awesome! I was up till 3 in the morning last night going through installer and playing with all of the cool apps! I wish I would have done this a lot sooner! haha oh well I have it now! Thanks everyone! Now What are some good apps for me to get?
I think you made a good choice. If you decide to go legal, just restore. Anyway, ENJOY!