Should I Jailbreak

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I want to jailbreak my iPhone but I have a couple of questions. Will this affect my ability to update the software when future versions come out? Meaning, will I have to reverse the jailbreak, restore the phone to it's original state first? Or will I be able to update just fine without Apple throwing a fit about what I have done to it. Also, when it comes to unlocking, will I, and is there a way to reverse that, because I hear that if you update with an unlocked phone it does some kind of crap to the sim card. Would it do the same thing to a jailbroken phone? Thanks.

L

leandermx

Just Do It!

If you don't jailbreak it, it is an ipod+phone;
if you do, it is more than an iPhone.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
Do it man jailbeaking will make the phone a beast... theres so much apps and cool stuff that you can put on it....

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
now this does void the warranty doesn't it? of course, there are ways to remove the jailbreak right? so then really nobody ever knows that i did it?

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
now this does void the warranty doesn't it? of course, there are ways to remove the jailbreak right? so then really nobody ever knows that i did it?
Yep, technically it voids your warranty. In effect you take over the warranty on the software yourself. All the info is publicly available and places like this are full of helpful people, but modify your phone and YOU accept the responsibility to read these pages and learn about what you're doing, why and how.

Look through the this thread.

Some of these blow you away.

Last edited by a moderator:

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
hey thanks for the encouraging boost! you know, i wrote my question like i already have one, i want to get one, just cant bring myself to drop the money for some reason, lots of little things, but im reading a bunch on here, puts me closer to getting one.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
just get one and jailbreak that joint you wont regret it....

K

kobeshane

Hi I`m 10 and wondering if I should jail break my ipod touch currently running on 2.2.1 software.I bought it with entirely all my money and I`m out of money now, im scared it might break if I jailbreak.But if you advise me to jailbreak tell me why and what I should jailbreak it with I know it voids the warranty so tell me what to doplease.Its a 2nd gen ipod touch running on 2.2.1 firmware.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
You won't break or brick it by jailbreaking. If anything goes wrong, you can restore it through iTunes to its original factory condition. You might think about updating the firmware to 3.0 before doing anything, or waiting for the new 3.1 firmware due this month, hopefully.

Jailbreaking gives you access to many more good apps and themes (most of them free) available through Cydia, which is installed when you jailbreak.

Jailbreaking can really open up a new world as far as using your Touch.

K

kobeshane

Jailbreak 1 Non Jailbreak 0

But see Im out of money so In the meen time should I jailbreak with 2.2.1

oh ya what should I jailbreak with

K

kobeshane

cool guess I`ll download the jailbreak im so so so so so so so nervous

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
cool guess I`ll download the jailbreak im so so so so so so so nervous
Don't be nervous. Most of us were nervous when we first jailbroke, and some of us did it back in the days when it was much more complicated.

Just remember that you have a whole host of people here ready to pitch in and help you if you run into any difficulties.

Just remember to read the directions carefuly.

Good luck and report back!

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Unless you paid for your iPod Touch with your own money...get your parents permission before you jailbreak your device. There really isn't much danger...but it's always a good idea to have their consent before you hack your 200 dollar device.

K

kobeshane

how long does the process take

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Never jailbroke an iPod touch, but if it's anything like the iPhone...takes about 5-10 minutes, if all your ducks are in a row, just for the jailbreak. Depending on the media you need to put back on...that may take some time.

K

kobeshane

what software or program should I use

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I think you can jailbreak the iPod Touch second generation with redsn0w, but since I have an iPhone, not an iPod, I am not 100% sure.