Should I let MacBook Pro battery discharge completely before plugging in?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBoss, Feb 24, 2012.

1. iBoss

iBoss Contributor
    Bronze

I just got my MacBook Pro yesterday, my question is should I let the battery run down all the way before plug in it in? Or that's just old school stuff?

Sent from my iPhone4(S) iCafe

2. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

I'd be inclined to says its old school. This day and age the batteries are not memory thereforee you can charge again from 40/50/60/70/80/90% and the battery stops at 100% it doesn't memorise this like "old school and then after charging without draining causing the battery to not complete a full cycle which in turn malfunctions it, because they got charged and charged from the same spots over and over again without giving the battery a full cycle. Batteries have advanced immensely since the late 90's. The iPhone 4 & 4s work in the same way.

Then again I could be wrong. (I don't make them) it's just my thoughts.

iHolophyte

3. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I always let it run down then charge it. But that could also be because I'm lazy. I say it doesn't matter.

4. Simonal

Simonal New Member

Batteries do need to cycle every so often.

Having just had my machine replaced I have a new MacBook Pro I am in the position of being able to run through the whole process again but with more knowledge.

There is a page on Apples site about caring for your MacBook battery - http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

There is also a page on calibrating your battery which is here - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.7/en/mchlp2991.html with different rules for each version of the MacBook, depending on if it has a removable battery or a built in one.

Hope the post comes out ok as this is my first post on this site.

5. ripsqueak

ripsqueak New Member

Calibrating is definitely a good way to prolong battery life. Many others have rec'd before --download coconutBattery app to which helps you keep track of your current charge & capacity in comparison designed charge & capacity.

6. Simonal

Simonal New Member