Should I Restore as New?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I don't know if I shouldvrestorevas new, undo the jailbreak and bring it to an Apple Genius:

1. My brightness changes on its own, whether auto is toggled on or off.

2. My iPhone hardly works in wifi. Mostly works in 4G, thereby burning battery.

I had Brightivator installed from Cydia but I removed it. Still exists.

I had iBatteryStatus installed from Cydia. Removed but still exists.

I'm at a loss now. My new iPhone 5 worked great on wifi before my first update to 6.1.1. Now it doesn't. I'm on 6.1.2.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
It sounds like something has gone wrong there. If you've removed the tweaks and you're still seeing problems try using iCleaner - can't promise it'll work.

If that doesn't clear the issues try a hard-reset. If that doesn't work, you'll probably need to restore. And yes, I would definitely set up as new.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I've run iCleaner. Yup, done hard reset. I guess restore as new. I saved my SHSH blobs for 6.1.2. But, I don't know how to restore as new and use 6.1.2. Or should I restore to 6.1.3?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've run iCleaner. Yup, done hard reset. I guess restore as new. I saved my SHSH blobs for 6.1.2. But, I don't know how to restore as new and use 6.1.2. Or should I restore to 6.1.3?
The blobs are currently useless. If you restore, you will be forced to upgrade to 6.1.3 and there is no going back. You will lose your jailbreak. I don't recommend restoring unless you are going to push for and exchange and are willing to take your chances with a replacement being on 6.1.2 or earlier.

Instead, try these things:
1. Reset your network settings
2. Power-cycle your router
3. Reset you router
4. Reset all settings

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
The blobs are currently useless. If you restore, you will be forced to upgrade to 6.1.3 and there is no going back. You will lose your jailbreak. I don't recommend restoring unless you are going to push for and exchange and are willing to take your chances with a replacement being on 6.1.2 or earlier.

Instead, try these things:
1. Reset your network settings
2. Power-cycle your router
3. Reset you router
4. Reset all settings
I did # 2 & 3 already. Wifi is better but the brightness problem still exists. I even uninstalled two more tweaks, one that said it wasn't certified for my device (iWipe) and MailEnhancer Pro 5. I than installed MailEnhancer Pro 6.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I did # 2 & 3 already. Wifi is better but the brightness problem still exists. I even uninstalled two more tweaks, one that said it wasn't certified for my device (iWipe) and MailEnhancer Pro 5. I than installed MailEnhancer Pro 6.
So screen brightness is the only problem now? Does Brightactivator have an on/off setting? If so, you could reinstall it and turn it off.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Does BrightVol fix it? Are you having any other problems with the phone?
I will see. I didn't have any wifi issues on my original iOS 6.1 iPhone 5. They started with update iOS 6.1.1, which was supposed to fix that issue. Than came 6.1.2 and still the same issues. The wifi issue is still there but not as bad. I haven't noticed the brightness issue yet since yesterday. Maybe removing the tweaks did it.

I'm going to look in iFile and see when certain tweaks were installed, so I could maybe find the culprit. And previously, auto-brightness toggle never worked. Now it seems to work. I dunno.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Does BrightVol fix it? Are you having any other problems with the phone?
The last Cydia updates I did, were installed iCleaner and updated ayecon Theme. I know some have said that iCleaner might do more hard than help. Wondering if this is the culprit. I doubt updating a theme or tweak could do it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The last Cydia updates I did, were installed iCleaner and updated ayecon Theme. I know some have said that iCleaner might do more hard than help. Wondering if this is the culprit. I doubt updating a theme or tweak could do it.
It's possible. I don't recommend it.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but the problems you are having appear to be because of your jailbreak. Restore as new and test things out before you go to Apple.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
I'm going to stop here, as anything I would like to say (from a non-jailbreaker standpoint) will sound rude and not productive. To the OP, I hope you are able to fix your phone.

fijiman

Contributor
Silver
Feb 13, 2011
UK
I think I'm going to uninstall every tweak and see if its any better. Than I'll reinstall them one by one. I took a screen shot of my packages. I hope this works.

Maybe a bit late... But you could just put you iPhone into "safe mode" essentially back to standard. ☺

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Okay, so I did this. Now what? Europa chris Napoleon PhoneApart iPhonewarrior , any help would be appreciated.
When you jailbreak and install Mobile Substrate this in turn adds layer of protection to your device. Unfortunately there is always compatibility issues with different tweaks and/or Cydia applications. Safe Mode is a feature of the Mobile Substrate which enables when the phone crashes because of a conflict within iOS. Entering Safe Mode protects the device. Now that you've entered Safe Mode you will probably see that your phone appears to look a lot more like it's stock counterpart. Whilst in Safe Mode all the tweaks and apps which work with the Mobile Substrate will be disabled. You can then launch Cydia or Crash Reporter and find out what's causing the problems and remove it from the equation.

You mentioned iCleaner causing more harm than good, I don't agree. If you've been getting countless errors then iCleaner is quite useful. I know you could SSH in or use iFile to delete the naughty files but that's just as dirty as using iCleaner (it does the same thing albeit automatically).

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you've obviously installed something or multiple different things which in turn have made your device act a little funky. Safe Mode will just make your phone stock until it's rebooted, it's not a fix. When I'm installing new tweaks in Cydia I do them one at a time, I've had bad experiences in the past which made it difficult to determine which apps were misbehaving etc - in future try to only install one or two packages at a time, this way you'll know exactly what's causing the problems. And download Crash Reporter as it's such an important tool when troubleshooting.

I know this thread is a couple of weeks old now, so could you please detail the exact problems you're now experiencing. I'm sure between us we might be able to help you get to the bottom of this.