Should I sell my iPad and get an iPad mini

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
That's the dilemma I'm facing. I had them both. In fact, I did a review of the iPad 4 and the iPad mini. I even went back and read my review. Despite my cons list, I'm being drawn in by the power of the iPad mini. I'm the type that is super careful with his devices. There are times when I don't grab my iPad because it is a bit large and I'm overly cautious with it. The iPad mini would be similar to my iPhone, but bigger. I'd have to mourn the loss of retina, at least until they come out later this year (wishful thinking).

All this news of the iPad 5 is also weighing on me. If it does get a serious redesign, the resale value will take a major hit. I'd rather sell now, jump on the mini (which I can pass down) and maybe down the road go big again.

I'm also finding that 64GB is too much for me.

I would opt for the black/slate. Not sure if I would stick around 16GB or go 32GB to be on the safe side.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It all comes down to Retina. If you can live without it, go for it. I sold my iPad 3 to get a mini and I'm really happy with that decision. The size and weight of the mini make up for the lack of Retina, in my case. I found that I use the mini much more frequently than I used the full-size iPad because it's not as heavy and I can thumb type on it.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
I also sold my iPad 3 and got the mini.. After a few days of mini use only my eyes adjusted and I honestly don't miss the retina at all..

You are dead on about the redesign of the iPad 5 (if true) causing havoc on the resale value of the iPad 4..

My LTE mini goes everywhere with me and I love it so much I also recently sold my iPhone 5 and now strictly use my mini for phone and texting functions via Google Voice.

When I had my iPad 1, 2, and 3 they never left the house because in my opinion they are not very portable.. The mini is a game changer for me because of its portability!

For me at least, portability far outweighed the retina, making my choice very easy! :)

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I don't think you'll have any regrets if you switch to the iPad mini. Just about everybody I know who has made that switch is more than happy with it. I still have both an iPad 3 and the mini, but I'd say my usage is around 80/20 in favor of the mini by now. Like most people I noticed the display difference and missed Retina for maybe a few days, maybe a little less - and the lightness and form factor still more than made up for it. Now I don't miss it or notice it much at all - and that's saying something because I do a TON of reading on the iPad mini.

Skb2000

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 1, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
www.sherrylbuchler.com
I sold my iPad 2 last month and went to look at the mini. I wound up with a 32Gig Ipad 4. I have a nice case for it and I take it with me everywhere. I like the larger size. It had nothing to do with the Retina display... you can get used to anything. I rarely use my iPhone for anything other than calls and the mini seemed more like a glorified iPhone. You can't fit the mini in your pocket so the size difference shouldn't matter all that much. Once you need to take something to put it in, it shouldn't matter as to size. I happen to carry a large purse and it fits into a side pocket. I have never found it to be that fragile but my case covers the front, back and corners. I do not have a hippy dippy case... just a plain old Targus black leather job that protects and can be used as a stand. JMHO.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
The size is what sold it for me on the iPad mini. I don't watch videos that often and maybe for me the retina really doesn't matter...
My iPad 2 is on eBay, bidding ends shortly :)

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The size is what sold it for me on the iPad mini. I don't watch videos that often and maybe for me the retina really doesn't matter...
My iPad 2 is on eBay, bidding ends shortly :)
Videos look pretty much the same, but text is crisper on Retina devices.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
My following comment is not meant to start any kind of argument. It's only meant as an observation. I find it interesting and amusing that some of the same people who were vehemently opposed to a larger iPhone because it would make typing and fitting in a pocket too difficult are more than happy to carry around an iPad mini.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
My following comment is not meant to start any kind of argument. It's only meant as an observation. I find it interesting and amusing that some of the same people who were vehemently opposed to a larger iPhone because it would make typing and fitting in a pocket too difficult are more than happy to carry around an iPad mini.
For me, there is a big difference here. I don't get the beat of the drum for a large iPhone, most of which coming from those who were vehemently opposed to it. There is a big difference between wanting a tablet that is more portable than a giant phone. Your phone is your main go to device. It goes up to your ear, you pull it out in stores and on the go. I say this from experience. I have a Galaxy Note II that I've been testing on and off. It's too big for a phone.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
True. Very different usage patterns. I'm actually getting my wife one for Valentine's because of the very issues being discussed here. It was just interesting to me.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
True. Very different usage patterns. I'm actually getting my wife one for Valentine's because of the very issues being discussed here. It was just interesting to me.
I do agree, there was some of the same chatter iPad > iPad mini. That too is fueling the iPhone 4-inch > iPhone 5-inch. I find it to be a poor argument. Sure Apple at times has to respond to the market, but I think there is more of a chance you'll see market conditions affect their decision making on a lower-cost iPhone.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
I'm tempted to continue this discussion but that's not your topic and sorry for the short derail. I'm actually typing this on my iPad3 and would have a hard time giving up retina. After the 14th I can give you a real answer to your question as I'll be able to compare the two side by side. Until then you're on your own. :D

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
That actually is what Chris was wanting. I just took us down a quick side road. Back to iPad vs Mini now. I hope.