Should I sell my iPad and get an iPad mini

mango44

Bronze
Oct 29, 2012
Not sure if I would stick around 16GB or go 32GB to be on the safe side.
If you have any SD cards laying around or even a portible hdd, you might want to consider RavPower's WiFi Disk. I just got one of these since I really liked their power bank and saw this new product they had on Amazon. I have several SD cards and I don't exactly need 100+ gigs extra of storage, so investing in portable hdd would be a waste of money. But with this, I'm able to read my SD cards wirelessly over it's own wifi network on my ipad, iPhone, computer, friend's devices, any "smart" devices. You can even use this to read your portable hdd if you already have one of those. You probably already went ahead and bought your ipad mini since I'm reading this thread pretty late, but thought I'd suggest this device to you and everyone else who wants to consider a wifi hard drive but feel it's a waste of money since you already have a portable hdd or what ever kind of storage you have laying around.

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
Great discussion. I'm in this dilemma as well. I'm thinking about downsizing from my iPad 3 64 GB wifi, but losing the Retina is my biggest concern. I LOVE the Retina with text and that's what I use my iPad for mostly. I don't watch a lot of video. Love the form factor of the Mini, but concerned that the screen may be a bit small as I use the iPad for teaching and sheet music when I sing/play guitar. I think a 16 GB will work fine, especially if I can get a wifi enabled external drive. I'm heavily leaning toward waiting to see what Apple comes out with in the next few months, though.

Decisions, decisions....

Sent using iCafe app

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
Well, I went to Best Buy today and picked up an open box 16GB to try out. I'm LOVING the form factor, but HATING the screen. It's simply not Retina. Retina is what I was waiting for & why I skipped over the iPad 2. I waited for the iPad 3 and loved it. I love the size of the Mini...pretty sure it will work in my workflow as well. I just don't think I can give up the Retina display. I'm gonna use it for a week and go from there...but I'm pretty sure it's going back to BB. I'll probably go to the Mini in the Summer/Fall when/if a Retina Mini is released.

Sent using iCafe app

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I decided to put my iPad up for sale. Too many rumors circulating about a refresh and want to maximize my value. Next time around, I'm going to stick with a 16GB, as it just works better for me. The bigger question will be iPad 5 with an iPad mini look and feel or an upgraded iPad mini. That's assuming we'll have those as options.

Either way, I figure it's the right move for me. My iPad was never filled past 16GB.

I'm not sure how long I can hold out without an iPad. Here's hoping my timing is right.

09_SERG

Bronze
Jan 24, 2009
Well I was trying to hold out. I have/had and iPad 2 and as a US Citizen living and working in Canada I refused to give up my US phone number and didn't want to carry two phones. But the plans are very expensive and data is limited if I keep my US plans. So, I bought an iPad mini and a data plan in Canada. Problem solved for the price of what I was paying for very little data roaming $50 I can get 5gb at $35. I don't know why I waited so long. It is a perfect size, I got the 32gb Slate.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Well I was trying to hold out. I have/had and iPad 2 and as a US Citizen living and working in Canada I refused to give up my US phone number and didn't want to carry two phones. But the plans are very expensive and data is limited if I keep my US plans. So, I bought an iPad mini and a data plan in Canada. Problem solved for the price of what I was paying for very little data roaming $50 I can get 5gb at $35. I don't know why I waited so long. It is a perfect size, I got the 32gb Slate.
Very nice. I just sold my big iPad. I plan on picking up a mini for my wife (which I'll use too). This will hold me over until the next generation. Against my better judgment, it'll be a white one. She loves the white. Me personally, any iPad I get going forward will be black/slate.

Lisa22

Bronze
Dec 6, 2012
South Elgin, Illinois
Wifi connection is still an issue for me with the mini. I wish I just got a full ipad now. Was loving it until I began wanting to stream videos. Stuff that streams fine on my phone just cuts out. Wait for the new mini and then wait some more or get a full size.

Sent using iCafe app

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Walmart currently has the iPad mini 16Gb wifi model for $299. Depends in your location, so I've heard. Price Drop form said until May 12th. $30 off, not too shabby

B

Bharding08

I bought mine at best buy and showed them that Walmart was selling it for cheaper and then best buy gave me $30 bucks back!

Sent using iCafe app

bollinger

Bronze
Dec 13, 2009
London
I am also waiting for the retina iPad mini , would find the size easier to use whilst in my vehicle, however still find my iPad 3 very useful in the home.

Sent using iCafe app

bollinger

Bronze
Dec 13, 2009
London
I am also waiting for the retina iPad mini , would find the size easier to use whilst in my vehicle, however still find my iPad 3 very useful in the home.

Sent using iCafe app

dkhmwilliams

Bronze
May 10, 2013
I bought an iPad mini for my wife and she loves the size. I don't. I like the full sized iPad much better. I like to type on the virtual keyboard like I would on a laptop. I can't do this on the iPad mini.

Sent using iCafe app

tpeter

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
I had 2 ipad 4s one for me and 1 for the wife.. We sold both months ago on Craigslist because we never used .. Was just to big.. I just bought a mini 2 days ago and love it! It's just the right size to use..

I just wish it had a better screen. When a better one comes ill get that.

Sent using iCafe app

tpeter

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
Oh and I got my mini at Walmart where my friend works. I paid 39 bucks for a 2 year accidental warranty,.. When the new one comes out I can fill out a claim and They will give me full credit of the mini on a gift card to get anything I want ..

Can't beat that

Sent using iCafe app

neo

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
murf, Tn
Just got me a 64 gb mini and really liking it. Resolution does suck on it but it fits my needs well for now. Will be giving my Note 8 away to a family member. Loving XCOM on it :) main reason I got it

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Oh and I got my mini at Walmart where my friend works. I paid 39 bucks for a 2 year accidental warranty,.. When the new one comes out I can fill out a claim and They will give me full credit of the mini on a gift card to get anything I want ..

Can't beat that

Sent using iCafe app
Wouldn't that be insurance fraud? Are you planing on smashing the mini when the new one comes out? :D

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

Can't beat that
Are you sure they'll give you a gift card for anything in the store and not a refurbished iPad mini 1? I looked it up and found a source that said the replacement isn't even handled by Walmart and that it instead goes through another company that does fullfilments for them. They'd get scammed way too much if they gave gift cards for the full amount.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD

Can't beat that
CJ, is that you?