Should I switch from BlackBerry to iPhone?

dt808

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I know you get a million of these threads and for that I am sorry...

I currently own a blackberry tour and is it worth switching? I just renewed with verizon a week ago and I can get out of it, with no penalties. I know more about iPhones than my friends who even own them.. its quite sad really. Should I give in to the addiction? I would be going from a verizon family shared, to a individual att plan. Is it worth the extra money for kicks? I live in Hawaii and while verizon dominates, att isn't too far behind. The money isn't that big of a problem, but is it really worth it?

I also have an ipod classic 120gb thats a few months old, I could easily craigslist that and buy a 32gb and make out with extra cash.

The only real downfall is, I live in Hawaii and I'm constantly on the beach or doing something active. I'm just afraid of losing/breaking the iPhone. Although, I've never lost a phone and only broke one.. Is the extra year of Applecare worth it and are there really good warranties through other companies? Replacing the blackberry tour for $90 is much better than paying $400+ for a new iPhone. Thats the only thing that scares me lol..

Thanks! Once again.. sorry for the billionth thread.. hell I bet you get more than that.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
I've got them both and like them both. I haven't used the Tour that much but what little I have used it Im not really to happy with the smaller keyboard and screen. I just wish the iPhone had MMS capabilities.

primsa

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
Rockford Il.
I would write down 3 or 4 features I have to have in a phone and then compare the two. There is good and bad in both.

Or you could just buy the one you like the looks of best.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I've got them both and like them both. I haven't used the Tour that much but what little I have used it Im not really to happy with the smaller keyboard and screen. I just wish the iPhone had MMS capabilities.
Your wish shall be fulfilled shortly.

dt808

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks guys, you do make some good points. I actually really like the small keyboard and high resolution of the tour, but.. still nothing compares to the iPhone in "my head."

yes, it is really sad that an amazing phone such as the iPhone still doesn't have MMS capabilities(officially).

dt808

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Your wish shall be fulfilled shortly.
At least you hope.

They said it was to be released with 3.0, then at the end of summer. We'll see if you actually get it. That is kind of a draw back for me as well, I MMS A LOT.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
ATT has officially announced that we will have MMS on the 25th.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Yes, it's highly documented that we're getting MMS on the 25th but cynics will be always be cynical.

Teazer

Aug 19, 2009
i never understood the whole "crackberry" shenanigan. so you have your pin #'s that you share w/other blackberry users and msg each other. am i missing something or is that all it is? if that's the case, you should just get the iPhone.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
There are a ton of sites (SquareTrade for one) that offer insurance for phones and I'm pretty sure some users here have had positive interactions with such sites. The phone is more resilient than a lot of people give it credit for. And if you're that nervous, you could always get a durable case and screen protector.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I actually almost left the iPhone 3G for the Tour on Verizon. It was partially driven by what I perceive as the better network in Verizon...and I know some believe you should choose your carrier first...I don't agree. I think they all have enough coverage in most areas that you should just find a phone you want. If it was all a coverage issue, I would've gone with Verizon. But the truth is, I'd have to do so much workarounds, and messing around, that having a device outside the Apple ecosystem would just be an awkward fit. I have two Macs, the iPhone, Apple TV, an Airport network with two Airport Expresses, and MobileMe, and everything just works together. I could see going from a Tour to a iPhone, but not the other way around, for at least the reasons above.

dt808

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I did it, I got the 32gb iPhone 3GS today. Returned the tour and left verizon for good.

Oh my god, I'm so glad I did it. Thank you everyone for not getting upset with me and giving me reasons to switch. Amazing..

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I have such a brain cramp about this very subject. My company only supports blackberry's so if I go back to the iPhone I have to carry around two devices. For some reason this is like a mortal sin.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
juls1585 said:
mine is the same way. i hardly ever use my work phone though. its almost more of a waste than anything, but you gotta have it. you could always have your calls forwarded to your iPhone though....
Its more email than anything. I would wear my iPhone in a holster and keep my blackberry in a bag or something. So i wouldn't be seing emails coming in at that very moment. Its ridiculous really.