Should I trade-in iPhone 3GS or unlock for overseas travel?

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by mbushnell, Oct 28, 2013.

1. mbushnell

mbushnell New Member

Hi all
    I have ordered an iPhone 5s & intend to keep my 3gs & get the unlock code from AT&T for use during overseas travel with a local SIM Card, especially when visiting family in France.

I'd like to know if you guys think it advisable to retain the 3gs for such purposes, or just trade it in.

Thanks.

Mark

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, unlocking it is a great idea. I always unlock my old iPhones and keep one hand to use as a backup after I upgrade.

3. Dimitris

Dimitris New Member

Hey to everybody. I bought iPhone 3gs from UK Vodafone and is lock. I went in GR. Odafone to unlock and told me isn't possible cos the database is a new one. So I would like to tell me somebody if know any solution in my problem! Thanks a lot!

4. Dimitris

Dimitris New Member

I bought iPhone 3gs from UK Vodafone and is lock. I went to GR Vodafone to unlock and told me can't to do something cos the database is a new one. I can't to activate and also I have more one year in my hand. I would like to ask if someone know to give me solution in my problem.
    Thanks a lot!

5. mbushnell

mbushnell New Member

O.K. guys, I'm leaving for the U.K. (London) next Sunday for a week. I'm returning to the U.S. the following Saturday.
    I still have my 3gs & also my 5s (will have about 1 month left in the 2 year contract on it). Will AT&T allow unlocking of the 5s with 1 month left in the contract?
    What is the best avenue for getting a U.K. SIM Card? Get one in the States somewhere, or wait until I get to the U.K.?
    Thanks for any help.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

AT&T sometimes unlocks phones that still under contract. Request it here.

Get a prepaid SIM card from one of the carriers in the UK after you arrive.

7. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Definitely keep it. It does not worth anything now, so there is no point in trading it. Always good to have a backup unlocked iPhone to travel around!