Should I trade in my AT&T Next iPhone 6 or sell it to upgrade to iPhone 6s?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by chris, Aug 13, 2015.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

So here's where I'm at right now. I've got the iPhone 6, which I purchased last year on the Next plan. As of now, I can pay $149 to upgrade. That would include trading in my iPhone 6. I assume that the number will decrease slightly after I make next months bill payment. The other option is to buy outright at $449 and resell. That of course means the added hassle of selling through the usual channels - Craigslist or eBay. The latter charging an arm and a leg for commission.

The convenient move is to pay the $149 and upgrade. It'll likely be a bit more, since I'm planning to move to the iPhone 6s Plus. I'm going to need a support group after switching to such a big phone.

What are you plans? Any other AT&T Next owners and if so, how are you handling your upgrade to the iPhone 6s?

2. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Where did you find the payoff on your phone for the trade?

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Dial *639# on your phone. You'll receive a text message with the upgrade details.
    image.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I looked online under my upgrade options, but @Europa 's suggestion is easier.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That's because her AT&T app sucks. Mine works fine for getting this information.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I still haven't decided what I'm going to do with my 6. I figure I can make back $45 - $150 by paying off the balance and then selling it on Gazelle or through Craigslist. Not sure if it's worth the hassle when I'd only have to pay AT&T $35 to take it back and reset my eligibility. One plus side to going the Gazelle route is I could keep using the 6 up until I got the 6s. Otherwise, I'd turn it into AT&T around the 2nd of September to ensure my eligibilty is reset by preorder day and then use my 5s for a few weeks. You don't make as much profit with Gazelle as you do on Craigslist, but it's hassle-free and risk-free.

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Interesting, so that's another element of my question. Exactly when do you turn in your iPhone 6 and how does that affect pre-order day? In my case, I'm going to the iPhone 6 Plus, so my monthly charge will be greater due to additional cost of the device.

My account is so confusing now. I'm on a 2GB Mobile Share Plan w/ Next. My wife is on a 1GB Mobile Share with an on-contract phone. It's odd because they are all under my master account. It seems to me we'd benefit from having one single data plan – both from having more data and cutting costs. I know that today AT&T made some changes to data plans, so it might be a good time to have a conversation with them.

She has no interest, nor a need to upgrade. I think for the iPhone 7, I'll shift her to Next. We need to get these data plans in order.

So, September 2nd trade-in? Looks like I'll be using my Moto X or HTC M7 for a few weeks. Can Next customers pre-order through Apple?

8. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I'm curious about this too, except I would be new to the Next program. I'm sill using a 5s on a standard 2 year contract which ends September 20th.

My AT&T upgrade eligibility says:

Upgrade Eligible
    Congratulations! This line is upgrade eligible for a new smartphone with $0 down on AT&T Next. Reminder: Taxes are due at the time of purchase. This line may be eligible for an upgrade with a 2-year wireless agreement on September 21, 2015. For Mobile Share Value Plan customers, the $15/$25 discounts are not available with an upgrade to a new 2-year wireless agreement.

9. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

My wife's 5s is eligible to trade in now, but will be paid in two months. I will probably take her upgrade and give her my 6. Then give the 5s to my daughter who has been using a 4.

My only decision now is which one to get. I am leaning towards the Plus, but I am worried about the size being too big. I will say this, though. I wish they would bring the 32gb back as the standard size. My 6 is 64gb and is totally wasted on me. I am consistently at about 16gb usage. Right now I am at 13 and that is without trying to limit myself.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'd do September 2nd just to be safe and make sure they reset the eligibilty by the 11th. It will probably take 24 hours or less, but I don't want to chance it.

You didn't increase it from 2 GB to 3 GB for free?

That's my plan. I did last year when I ordered my first Next iPhone. I haven't heard anything about them not allowing that anymore.

11. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

This all sounds like a right headache. I'd just trade mine in at AT&T (iPhone 6 Plus) and let them do all the work for me.

I can't be bothered with the likes of eBay and PayPal.

12. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I've got a question. If all of the Next program folks use the Next program to get their new iPhones, how will it be done? Will you be able to order on Pre-order day and receive the iPhone 6+S or 6s on Launch day through delivery or do you have to go into an AT&T store in order to complete this transaction? How are they doing this? I want my iPhone 6+S on launch day if I can get the order in LOL!!

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can only preorder through Apple if your eligible has been reset first. You'll need to pay off the phone or turn it in to AT&T before pre-order day if you want to order through them.

14. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I think I got it. I turn it in, AT&T resets my eligibility and then I can order through Apple and I will receive the iPhone on launch day if I am successful at ordering on Pre-Order day.

Well this is bad for those who have no backup iPhone and have to suffer through until they get the new iPhone.

IDK what I can do this year though since I basically purchased my iPhone last year with a partial subsidy. IDK if they will extend the AT&T Next Program to me this year. I think they might but I'm thinking I'm just going to go ahead and buy retail and sell my iPhone 6+ to recoup, then next year use the Next program, start fresh.

No matter what I'm getting this 6+S!!

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Last year, AT&T let their customers who had subsidized the previous year get a new iPhone with Next. They also let those people keep their old phones even though they still had a year on the contract. Verizon, on the other hand, didn't let their customers keep their old phones if their contract wasn't complete.

16. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I haven't decided what to do yet. I may go with Gazelle or Nextworth this year. I did Craig's List last year and it was a nightmare. I used Nextworth on my 4 a couple of years ago. I typically don't get the S, but I may get tempted this year.

17. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Thanks for the info @Europa! I'll keep a look out for a change in my eligibility for the NEXT Program. So far it says nothing about it.

My Hubby is eligible for the NEXT Program and I have already told him he should go ahead and take advantage of it. He agreed so YAY! He's getting a iPhone 6+ S too.

18. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

My plan is to upgrade from the iPhone 6 Plus to the iPhone 6s Plus and just turn in the iPhone 6 Plus. I've come to realize its almost identical to leasing a car in terms of payments. You'll always have a payment on the iPhone you have, but you'll also always have a new iPhone (swap car for iPhone in the previous sentence to see what I mean). I'm ok with that as its a lesser hit than a bulk of money yearly. I just hope as mentioned above that I'll be able to preorder the new phone and THEN turn in the old one once the new one comes in. If not, its a pretty big hole in the basic idea of NEXT.

"With AT&T Next, you can have the latest device most of the time, the other part of the time you have no phone at all" Doesn't sound so great to me..

19. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I've considered switching to AT&T, but when you look at all the plans from the four major carriers, they are all about even in terms of cost. I also refuse to get myself into another two year agreement or contract. It's a pain to try to get out and then there is usually some fee associated with leaving the company.

I'm going to keep the 6 as others have mentioned until the 7 rolls out and make the switch. But until then, I'll be taking my service to MetroPCS and paying a flat rate (taxes included) and able to keep my number.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Pretty sure you can't do that.

If you don't have a backup phone, you have the option of waiting until they are
    2-year aggrements and ETFs have been or are currently being phased out. The new thing is zero down with payment plans and no contract. You leave, you return the phone. It's simple. It's not bad when you factor in the lower costs of the plans now. It offsets the monthly cost of the hardware quite a bit. My bill only went up by five dollars a month because I was able to get cheaper data and drop the unlimited messaging fee that's now included for free. That $70 a year is better than the full or subsidized cost I used to pay every year for phones ($300 - $750). And turning the phone back into them at the end of the year is easier than selling privately. Next is pretty awesome.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List