Should I try iOS 5?

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
As I'm using the ipad's baseband, can one still restore my iPhone 3gs to use iOS 5? I really would like to try it. I understand that the Jailbreak for iOS 5 is tethered, unless you have an old bootrom 3gs.(Which I'm certain I do). Or will I have to stay stuck on 4.3.3?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Can one of the mods either delete this thread or put it in the iOS 5 discussion thread?
Nope. It's jailbreak related so you put it in the correct place first time round :)

To answer your question, I don't know if the 3GS baseband is updated higher than that of the iPad. I suppose you will find out soon enough :)

I'm hoping we'll see an un-tethered jailbreak within a week.

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
Nope. It's jailbreak related so you put it in the correct place first time round :)

To answer your question, I don't know if the 3GS baseband is updated higher than that of the iPad. I suppose you will find out soon enough :)

I'm hoping we'll see an un-tethered jailbreak within a week.
Thought so, so thanks John. My 3gs was apparently manufactured in june 2009, according to my entering of my serial number on the Apple website. So I assume it's still old bootrom (at least I'm hoping it is). I don't want put my phone in DFU at work seeing all my stuff is on the laptop at home, plus I don't have a usb cable here. Never have.

I'm hoping I can hold on for a week and don't get the urge to make my baby a brick by jailbreaking. I'm at work until 6 today, so I guess I will have to wait until I get home to download iOS 5 on my laptop. :(

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Thought so, so thanks John. My 3gs was apparently manufactured in june 2009, according to my entering of my serial number on the Apple website. So I assume it's still old bootrom (at least I'm hoping it is). I don't want put my phone in DFU at work seeing all my stuff is on the laptop at home, plus I don't have a usb cable here. Never have.

I'm hoping I can hold on for a week and don't get the urge to make my baby a brick by jailbreaking. I'm at work until 6 today, so I guess I will have to wait until I get home to download iOS 5 on my laptop. :(
Are you going to update to the iPhone 4S? You should be able to jailbreak iOS 5 un-tethered if you have an old bootrom 3GS.

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
No not getting a 4S. Simply can't afford one. (unless you know someone who might let me have their old iPhone 4 for free). Contract prices are too high for me to consider paying and the prices for up-front costs are too extortionate. I will have to try and find out tonight if my iPhone is old/new bootrom. I'm guessing any 3gs' manufactured before november 2009 (as is mine) will probably be old bootrom?

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
Are you going to update to the iPhone 4S? You should be able to jailbreak iOS 5 un-tethered if you have an old bootrom 3GS.
I decided to put my phone into dfu this morning, to check what bootrom i have and according to sn0wbreeze it says it's new bootrom :(. So looks like I'm waiting for an untether of iOS 5, I'm not always near my laptop so can't be arsed with a tethered Jailbreak.