Should I upgrade for 2G iPhone to iPhone 3G?

Rhinohd

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
HI,
I have the non 3g iPhone right now and love it! I was wondering if upgrading to the new 3g one is worth it. Any help would be great!

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
HI,
I have the non 3g iPhone right now and love it! I was wondering if upgrading to the new 3g one is worth it. Any help would be great!
only if you need 3G connection on the go, then i think it worth it... otherwise, you should stay on 2G and save the money you would pay every month (i think $10 more for the data plan)

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Do you have a good 3G network where you live? Among other reasons, I jumped on the 3G because it bothered me that I couldn't receive calls while surfing. Not a biggie but still I felt limited without that option.

You might want to wait. See if another cool phone is coming out soon.

ufcollins

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
Jacksonville
my area has really good 3g reception and im on my iPhone 2g constantly. so my question is "is it worth the extra $10 a month for the 3g data?"

thebat-man

Sep 30, 2008
Surrey, BC
If you´re going for the 3G - wait for the 32GB version!

First off, I would suggest everyone to upgrade to the 3G.

Second, if you do choose to upgrade, pick the right one for you personally. If you think you will need 32GB, wait for it to be released, but if not, there is the 8GB and 16GB available. I own the 16GB 3G and personally wouldn't need anything bigger than that.

Hope that helps.

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
don't know if this would really good example, but....

was it worth to upgrade to DSL/cable from dial-up connection...? :p

Dustu2

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Houston, TX
I doubt that there will be a 32GB iPhone... What the hell is the point, anyway? You practically have to be using it as a mass storage device to fill that up.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
HI,
Why wouldn't you upgrade? it's a better phone.

You could wait on the 32gig but by then you'll want to wait on the different colors but by then you'll...hell...you should wait forever and never get another phone for fear of it being "outdated." You're right. Better not upgrade.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Apple tends to release new models every year. So you're about halfway through a cycle right now. We may see a 32 GB model before summer, but not much else.

If you were a new iPhone buyer, I'd say go for it. But seeing that you have a V1, I have to ask: Are you unsatisfied with Edge speeds? Do you wish you could pinpoint your location better with maps? If you answer no to either of those questions, I would wait 6 months.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I doubt that there will be a 32GB iPhone... What the hell is the point, anyway? You practically have to be using it as a mass storage device to fill that up.
Nope.. - it's always nice to have lots of space for movies, pictures, music and you can use it like you use the USB-memory key for data files. There was a reason for laptops back then - people need their data on the road. You also need some extra space for upcoming GPS-Navigations with heavy road maps!

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
There will definitely be a 32g. And its pretty easy to fill them up. My 16g is full, the only reason I haven't bought the 3g yet is because I am waiting for 32g.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Why wouldn't you upgrade? it's a better phone.

You could wait on the 32gig but by then you'll want to wait on the different colors but by then you'll...hell...you should wait forever and never get another phone for fear of it being "outdated." You're right. Better not upgrade.
Depends on your needs, I need more space, if the 16g was big enough I would have bought the 3g.

Btw its subjective if its a better phone or not.

Its the same phone with the same software that has 3g and GPS, if you are not in a 3g area the phones are the same except the V1 has much better battery life.

If you never use GPS then that is not a big deal either.

I was ready to jump on the 3g day one I was a little disappointed that they only added 3g and GPS. I was hoping for more, especially 32g since the Touch has it already.

TSheridan330

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
The V1 released the 16Gig in jan. or feb. 08, so if you wait a few months you can get the 3g size increase. I hesitated to upgrade to the 3g because I loved the look and feel of the first one. I was worried I would regret it. I didn't. 3g is noticeably faster. Ever have those moments where you need your iPhone to find something out and your tapping your foot waiting for edge? Not on 3g. (I remember feeling like an ass a few times waiting on EDGE)

On the other hand, the speed is noticeably faster but the bill is noticeably larger. They got us with the text messages, I'm down to 200 from 1500 on V1 and I'm paying a few extra dollars a month because I go over.

Rhinohd

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Thanks Folks!
I don't use edge much at all but when I do its slow as heck and I do end up taping my foot. I would like the GPS but I have a stand alone garmin unit that works great. I have an 8 gig iPhone now and don't use it for much media because my 60 gig ipod holds all my whole library (that I only listen to in my car). I guess Im just tired of heving all this stuff to deal with and want it in one place.

A couple other of things..
I was wondering if the sound is louder. I find it hard to hear on my present iPhone now.
How is the GPS compaired to a stand alone unit? Is it as good as a garmin?