Should I upgrade to 16gb, or should I wait for a 3G model?

mac29

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
My 8gb phone is scratched up from dropping it (its real slippery) I want to upgrade to the 16gb, but I'm scared that as soon as I do that, Apple will come out with a completely new model. Any advice?

electoman

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I would wait and give the 3G a couple of months to see how it holds up. Typically, 3G smartphones have battery issues (there are a few exceptions). I own a Tilt that can't get nearly the battery time that I get with my 8gig iPhone. Plus, it isn't as fun as the iPhone.

MS Exchange!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I'm definitely waiting for 3G. I can't watch a whole movie anyway on the iPhone, so 8GB more doesn't do anything for me. I want more functionality, not storage.

Apple124

Bronze
Mar 11, 2008
If you really want it, just go for it.
Technology changes all the time, after the 3G comes out theres gonna be another right around the corner everyones gonna want. Get it while you can, and while its hot.
Do you have warranty? You could always say something went wrong with it and get a new one!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
If you really want it, just go for it.
Technology changes all the time, after the 3G comes out theres gonna be another right around the corner everyones gonna want. Get it while you can, and while its hot.
Do you have warranty? You could always say something went wrong with it and get a new one!
I agree with Apple124. If you enjoy the iPhone, why wait? Adapt your needs to the device, not the device to your needs. Discussions about cost are somewhat irrelevant. If cost was that important, you would have picked a 9.99 special.

The iPhone represents the latest and greatest. If you need (or lust after) the latest and greatest, get to the Apple store and buy. If that means buying a 16 GB now, a 32 GB in 4 months, and a 3G in 7 months, so be it. Sell your unwanted devices.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I'm definitely waiting for 3G. I can't watch a whole movie anyway on the iPhone, so 8GB more doesn't do anything for me. I want more functionality, not storage.
Why cant you watch an entire movie on your iPhone? Battery life? I have been able to get through entire movies (abeit on a plane) and still use the phone when I landed.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Why cant you watch an entire movie on your iPhone? Battery life? I have been able to get through entire movies (abeit on a plane) and still use the phone when I landed.
Sorry to jump in, but for me the screen's too small for comfortable movie watching. The only time I'd ever watch a movie on an iPhone is, like you, if I were on a long flight. I don't fly enough to make buying larger capacity iPhone worth it.

Like ColsTiger, function upgrades are what I'm looking forward to. 3rd party apps, 3G connectivity, A2DP Bluetooth (stereo support), and perhaps GPS, in that order. :cool:

-K

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
I'm waiting. For me, less space just means I have to be better at managing the content I put on the device. I'm not willing to pay a premium for only 8 GB more memory, especially when that additional capacity comes with no changes in features or functionality. More space wouldbe nice, but I don't mind waiting for Gen2.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I'm waiting. For me, less space just means I have to be better at managing the content I put on the device. I'm not willing to pay a premium for only 8 GB more memory, especially when that additional capacity comes with no changes in features or functionality. More space wouldbe nice, but I don't mind waiting for Gen2.
And especially when you know that there is a 32gb memory for the touch and that is more than likely the next capacity upgrade for iPhone hopefully even more!;)