Should I upgrade to 5.1.1 if I'm waiting to jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by voxnbass, May 13, 2012.

1. voxnbass

voxnbass New Member

I have a new 4s with 5.1 and no SHSH blobs. I'm anxiously waiting to be able to jailbreak. Will updating now be a bad idea?

Thanks in advance for the feedback! I'm a newer iOS user.

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thread moved to the iPhone Jailbreak section.

3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

If you want to jailbreak, I would stay on iOS 5.1. There is a jailbreak in the works, it hasn't been released yet but when it does you'll definitely be notified on here :)

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can update to 5.1.1 if you want. The jailbreak pod2g is working on is compatible with the Apple's latest firmware version (5.1.1). It might only be a few weeks away.

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

...until it's confirmed/released I'd stay on 5.1.

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I updated to 5.1.1. I'm waiting for an untethered JB. :)

7. voxnbass

voxnbass New Member

thanks all.... I woulda posted here but wasn't sure how to find the jailbreak forum from the app. I'm following pod2g on twitter and now checking here for status updates:). Coming from rooted Android devices, I thought I would be able to hold off on jailbreak but..... naaahhh! I wanna :-D

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

9. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Yar... but it's not released. The jailbreaking vs updating argument has always been the same, whichever way you look at it. We/I (not you of course) always stay on the current jailbreakable (preferably un-tethered) firmware until a new perfectly working packaged un-tethered jailbreak is released.

@ OP - Suppose if you weren't already jailbroken my point goes out the window. I was simply referring to orthodox methods.

10. voxnbass

voxnbass New Member

nope...I'm not jb and never was. I updated the device to 5.1 and then regretted it. I think I'll hold off on the upgrade just in case - I hope release is near....I'm jonesin

11. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot
    Gold

It has been confirmed as Europa said. Just wish I could do it. I wish I had an iPhone 4 or 4s :( Apparently us 3GS users miss out.

12. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

The OP can still save blobs on 5.1, as Apple is still signing 5.1. Then he can update to 5.1.1 without any fear of losing a chance to jb (although I think there is almost no chance that the upcoming jb won't work with 5.1.1).

Even without blobs saved, as of this writing you can downgrade from 5.1.1 to 5.1.

Michael

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, but the OP is on an unjailbreakable firmware version with no way to downgrade. 5.1.1 has been confirmed to be compatible with the jailbreak by the hacker who is working on the upcoming jailbreak, so I wouldn't avoid updating for that reason alone.

14. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

That wasn't my point, but it's not important. (y)

I'm looking forward to the new jailbreak, since getting the new iPad all I want to do is jailbreak it!

15. voxnbass

voxnbass New Member

I updated to 5.1.1 as pod2g tweeted a couple of times that the jb will work with it, so I'm all set and just waiting now......I need to read up on how to back up that stuff while I wait.

I'm Kelly, btw....female variety. Nice to meet all of you :)

16. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Welcome Kelly!
    You are in the right place to get he most out of your 4S once the jailbreak is released. There are so many things that can be done to increase the customization and productivity of iDevices once they are freed!
    I personally focus on customization. It's great to see the amazement of folks with a stock iPhone when I "slide to destroy" (thanks Europa!), and hear an X-wing blasting the Desth Star apart!

81549775.jpg

There are members here that go above and beyond, really knowledgeable and willing to help.

Attached Files: