Should I upgrade to a 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by flatbacks21, Jan 2, 2014.

1. flatbacks21

flatbacks21 Member
    Bronze

I can upgrade from a 5 to 5S, but am not sure if it's worth it. My 5 seems to be fine, but with the 5S at a low price at best buy, I can trade in my 5 and get the 5S for free. Thoughts?

2. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I've seen a few threads and posts online with people quite happy with their iPhone 5. I think it is a personal choice. The Touch ID does seem to work pretty well, albeit, not a compulsory feature.
    I'm sure certain games making use of the 64bit processing power would work wonders, too...

Since we're in January already, maybe if you can wait till June/July, possibly see what iPhone 6 has to offer, and thus save your upgrade?

Hmm, decisions, decisions...

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I upgraded from a 5 to a 5s and I recommend waiting for the iPhone 6 this fall. You don't notice the speed increase very much at all and the fingerprint scanner is easy to live without. I actually have my fingerprint scanner disabled. The camera upgrades are really nice, but if you don't absolutely need them or a gold phone right now it's probably better to just hold tight and wait for the 6.

4. flatbacks21

flatbacks21 Member
    Bronze

Yeah, I guess I have a line that I can use the upgrade for and was just gonna take advantage of it because it would all be free (other than the upgrade fee). It just seems like a good swap.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm with Europa here. Wait for the 6.

6. Ms Cola

Ms Cola Member
    Bronze

It's a tough decision. I went from a 5 to an 5S but I did it on launch day. I am enjoying my phone. You really can't tell a big difference of the speed as Europa said. I understand your position of getting an upgrade for free I probably would take the chance and get it because it is free. September /October is a long way off to me but I'm working on my patience, you may already be there and can hold out. Good luck on your decision.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

When does your phone get an upgrade? You said you had " a line... ".

8. flatbacks21

flatbacks21 Member
    Bronze

I have 4 lines and the one can be upgraded.. Just thought I can snag that upgrade and trade in my 5 while it's still worth some cash.. Then my line is available in September..

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

In that case, if no one will need your upgrade in September, you might go for it now. Then use your upgrade in Sept. for the 6. But that would leave someone without an upgrade until Jan. 2016. The 5 is a great phone. I'd just wait.

10. smelton3

smelton3 Member
    Bronze

I think you should wait. I fell victim of needing to have the latest iThang and upgraded from 5 to 5s.
    I am enjoying touch ID and having the Golden iPhone.
    My main reason is that I outgrew 16GB that used to be fine from the 4 to 5. I got to the point I had to delete an app to get an app.

11. flatbacks21

flatbacks21 Member
    Bronze

I went ahead and did the upgrade.. Best buy gave me $175 for my I5 and I paid $124.99 for the 5s.. When the guy was swapping them out he kinda laughed and said he didn't realize the I5 was reselling for that amount.. I'm sure on craigslist or eBay I could've gotten more, but this is a no hassle, in and out scenario.. Seems identical other than the fingerprint home key. Haven't really noticed any real speed difference, but time will tell.. This was purely a swap due to cost.. Made money on this and now have a better product to swap when the 6 comes out..

12. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Nicely done. I got mine on Wednesday (iPhone 5s GOLD). Albeit I'm now thinking I want a black/slate one. The white looks weird in my Otterbox Defender.