Should I wait for new iPhone?

Rkilbane20

Bronze
May 5, 2008
Ohio
I have been waiting an iPhone for so long. I have money now to go out and buy it. Now I hear all this news on the new 3G iPhone. I have WiFi in my house so the whole 3G won't really effect me. I also have 3 computers so if I'm going on the Internet at home it will most likely be on the computer. Now if I'm not at home I think I can be patient. My brother has an iPhone and its not that slow. Plus if it has GPS I don't think I will ever use it. I'm only 17 and don't think I'm going on any road trips anytime soon.

If the new iPhone has any new software updates wouldn't Apple just update the model out now?

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
If you have been waiting so long then another two months or so isn't going to make much difference will it ;-)
and yes, any sofwwre updates will be for both phones. Though if you really don't think you will benefit from the new iPhone then get the current model, though there is no way of being sure what new features will be implemented into the new model.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
just wait
even if its not that much better, at least you'll have the newest model

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
though there is no way of being sure what new features will be implemented into the new model.
This is exactly why I would wait just a little longer. I know it is hard, but you have gone this long and it might payoff to wait.

jimmy_hat

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
UK
Well I think it all depends. If the rumours about the new model having a smaller screen and plastic back are true, then I'd see if you can get a current generation one cheap. Of course, if these rumours turn out not to be true, then it might not pay off...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
If you wait and decide that the 3G iPhone is not for you, I'm sure places like eBay and Craigslist are going to be flooded with the current iPhone version and you will probably be able to get one very cheap.

MundoGrande

Bronze
Jan 26, 2008
Personally, I think that two months without the iPhone would suck. Besides, it's not confirmed it would come out in June. It might just be announced in June, and may take even a little longer. If you chase technology, you'll be running forever.

But it's up to you. I'm sure the new iPhone will be beyond amazing with features I'm sure we haven't even thought of.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
this is one of the few times that i'd suggest waiting. there's so much speculation about v2 and what features it might include. there's also reason to believe it'll be much less costly. i'd hold off if you could.

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
Def wait. There is nothing like getting a new toy and then 2 months later they come out with something better. Nothing pisses me off more!

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
With a new iPhone available within a month or two, I wouldn't call it "chasing technology" so much as "effectively getting your money's worth". I don't pretend to know whether you have a job or not, but at 17, you are probably still in highschool Take some advice from an "old guy" on these forums....Wait for the 3G, because once you finish highschool, you will most likely be spending more time outside the home working and trying to make car notes, rent, and the like.

And, as an added bonus, like Youngbinks said, once the new iPhone drops, you should be able to grab a 16gb 1st gen iPhone dirt cheap should you decide that the 3g isn't the one for you.

mikdiamon

Mar 22, 2008
I would wait for sure.

If theres a new case on v2 it will surely be more durable. The aluminum or whatever the case is made of now dent's very easily, I have a Incase on mine so it's pristine, but would much rather run with out one if I didn't have so many friends whose iPhones look like they've been run over.

3G - I wonder if it will be enough faster that the iTunes store would work without wifi? that would definitely rock!

GPS - Once you've had a chance to play with gps you'll see it's much more than just for road trips. Using gMaps and with the locator and searching for the nearest head shop ect. is cool, but with gps you'll get turn by turn directions (might need them more after you find the head shop) but it's also handy when trying to find a address you are unfamiliar with, the nearest Indonesian restaurant and soo much more.

And then theres the unknown feature that you may really really want.

Bottom line, you've waited this long, I would definitely wait at least for a definite release date and price, after all as mentioned above once the new ones come out you will for sure take a big hit if you decide to upgrade.