Should I wait for the iPhone 5 or buy an Android Phone now?

Aug 31, 2010
I think, again, it comes down to one thing and one thing only (with respect to hardware design): personal preference. I see the pros and cons of both. That being said, if the Samsung looked exactly like the iPhone, I bet most people on this forum would still lean FAR towards the iPhone.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I tend to agree with this:
"Apple said consumers would not be interested in the thinnest part of the device, but in its overall measurements, as these would, for example, affect whether the device could fit into a pocket or purse."
I put my phone in my front pocket at times, and those areas are part of the overall dimensions, so yeah, I do think they need to be counted.
That's funny. I'd agree with you that both the width and length greatly affect fit in a pocket but any suggestion that the 1.2mm between the thinnest and thickest measurements or the 0.61mm between the iPhone 4 and the thickest part of the SGS2 counts significantly toward usage, is, wow ...

To me thinness is indicative of engineering effort in that at this level I expect that every 0.1mm shaved requires considerable design.

Anyway, I also put my DHD in my front pocket and so expect all future <=4.5" phones to overcome such challenges.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I think, again, it comes down to one thing and one thing only (with respect to hardware design): personal preference. I see the pros and cons of both. That being said, if the Samsung looked exactly like the iPhone, I bet most people on this forum would still lean FAR towards the iPhone.
I agree.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Actually I hope the iP5 is thinner than the SGS2's thinnest parameter just for the sake of competition :)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Actually I hope the iP5 is thinner than the SGS2's thinnest parameter just for the sake of competition :)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Well, if that happens, I think the probability of Android following that up with a new phone that has portions that are thinner is close to 100%. Specs are how Android competes. Apple just wants a good user experience.

For example, consider the 8 megapixel cameras on some of the Android phones that came out around the time of the iPhone 4. The picture quality wasn't as good as the iPhone 4's. But the fact that the iPhone 4 had a camera with better optics didn't matter to most people. They don't understand the megapixel myth and they assumed 8 is always better than 5. Android phone manufactures counted on people not understanding it and it worked to their advantage.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Hmm "came out at the time" is hard to peg as the I find the two platforms to release about a half year from each other when looking at Android's flagship units.

As I recall all the existing top tier Android phones were between 3 & 9 months older at the time of the iPhone 4 release. For the longest time, even my 5MB autofocus cam on the N1 outclassed the cam on the 3GS.

A half generation post iPhone 4, 8MB cams/1080p video Android units offered a new bump but of course have the advantage of six months of development which in the smartphone world is huge.

Anyway the iPhone 4's release was optically & mechanically playing catch up/leap frog to existing units but I would agree that the software set a significant bar.

With the young kids we routinely review and organize our photos so I definitely notice the evolution from the N1, iPhone 4 and DHD. When we had the N1/iPhone 4 my wife had the preferred phone cam. With the iPhone 4/DHD it's even unless we expect to print the shot for the grandparents at which point the DHD is the preferred option.

Also it was/is difficult to compare shots on phone where the exclusive retina display provides an advantage. Off phone the units with "actually" better 8MB gear provide more data to view enlarged or on the rare occasions, on print.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Hmm "came out at the time" is hard to peg as the I find the two platforms to release about a half year from each other when looking at Android's flagship units.

As I recall all the existing top tier Android phones were between 3 & 9 months older at the time of the iPhone 4 release. For the longest time, even my 5MB autofocus cam on the N1 outclassed the cam on the 3GS.

A half generation post iPhone 4, 8MB cams/1080p video Android units offered a new bump but of course have the advantage of six months of development which in the smartphone world is huge.

Anyway the iPhone 4's release was optically & mechanically playing catch up/leap frog to existing units but I would agree that the software set a significant bar.

With the young kids we routinely review and organize our photos so I definitely notice the evolution from the N1, iPhone 4 and DHD. When we had the N1/iPhone 4 my wife had the preferred phone cam. With the iPhone 4/DHD it's even unless we expect to print the shot for the grandparents at which point the DHD is the preferred option.

Also it was/is difficult to compare shots on phone where the exclusive retina display provides an advantage. Off phone the units with "actually" better 8MB gear provide more data to view enlarged or on the rare occasions, on print.
I was referring to the EVO and the Galaxy S 1. I think they were both released within a few weeks of the iPhone 4. It wasn't playing catch up to anything. It had better optics and it took better pictures.

I had a N1 and it had specs with higher numbers than my iPhone, but the scrolling was so choppy that I couldn't stand to use it. But I'm not going spend any more time trying to convince you that numbers aren't everything, so I'll just stop now.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I was referring to the EVO and the Galaxy S 1. I think they were both released within a few weeks of the iPhone 4. It wasn't playing catch up to anything. It had better optics and it took better pictures.

I had a N1 and it had specs with higher numbers than my iPhone, but the scrolling was so choppy that I couldn't stand to use it. But I'm not going spend any more time trying to convince you that numbers aren't everything, so I'll just stop now.
You're right about the EVO and SGS1. We never got the EVO in Canada and between the DHD, Atrix, SGS2, Sensation, N1, N2 I've been operating on a refresh cycle of late winter to early spring.

Oct 3, 2009
I am bored with the iPhone and the "experience".

Personally I think they (iP and S2) are thin enough. I don't want any thinner. I have to stuff my iP into a Otterbox anyway so it don't matter. Friggin glass all over the place. Thinner is nicer....to a point....then thinner means less robust and easier to damage.

Anyone that thinks that .3mm makes the difference in if the thing fits in a pocket is just nuts.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD

Personally I think they (iP and S2) are thin enough. I don't want any thinner. I have to stuff my iP into a Otterbox anyway so it don't matter. Friggin glass all over the place. Thinner is nicer....to a point....then thinner means less robust and easier to damage.

Anyone that thinks that .3mm makes the difference in if the thing fits in a pocket is just nuts.
It still surprises me how many posts I've seen from people who put their phones into a back pocket and then sit down :)

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011

you know you do have a point. i just upgraded my evo4g to a S2 and to me it feels too light and too thin. but it could just be i need a little time to get used to the wieght and feel. so i guess i'll give it some time.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
hell if you were on the fence you may as well wait now. can't be that much longer.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
you know you do have a point. i just upgraded my evo4g to a S2 and to me it feels too light and too thin. but it could just be i need a little time to get used to the wieght and feel. so i guess i'll give it some time.
You gonna sell that S2 for cheap and which model is that?
Hmmm, I'm suddenly thinking that you really would be much happier with the iP5 ;)

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
You gonna sell that S2 for cheap and which model is that?
Hmmm, I'm suddenly thinking that you really would be much happier with the iP5 ;)
its the sprints version. and unless Apple goes with a removable battery and a bigger screen. then i have to say thank's but no thank's my phone has got to make it through my 18hr days of heavy usage. and the iPhone just won't cut the mustard. of course their are a ton of orther reason but i am always willing to make a sacrifice but on these 2 items i cannot.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
its the sprints version. and unless Apple goes with a removable battery and a bigger screen. then i have to say thank's but no thank's my phone has got to make it through my 18hr days of heavy usage. and the iPhone just won't cut the mustard. of course their are a ton of orther reason but i am always willing to make a sacrifice but on these 2 items i cannot.
Sounds like your SGS2 doesn't cut the mustard, either. The battery life on the iPhone 4 is excellent and the iPhone 5's will proabably be even better, while keeping the thin design. That's something that isn't easy to do on a thin phone with a removable battery. Have you considered an external charger? Maybe a Mophie Juicepack or one that's 1/6 the size of that "monster" I have and gives you 1 full charge just like your backup battery? Two full cycles on an iPhone 5 will almost certainly last longer on the iPhone 5 than the SGS2.