Should I wait for the iPhone 5 or buy an Android Phone now?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I've been in the cellular businesss for a long time and have had the good fortune of having seen the device roadmaps from many of the device OEM's, thus knowing what devices are coming down the pike and when. Believe me, you can find yourself in an endless "wait" state because regardless of which phone you decide to buy, it's guaranteed that a few days after you get it, it will be outdated due to a new announcement just made by some other handset manufacturer. This is pretty much the case with all technology (laptops, printers, stereos, ...). I think you just need to bite the bullet, pick a timeframe where you "need" (not want) a new device, and go with the best that exists at that time! Good Luck and don't wait too long!
Hardware changes often, especially in the Android world, but the ecosystem does not change that drastically. Some people flit about from one hardware unit to another, but the ecosystem locks users in place for the most part.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I generally look to double the performance plus pick up a feature here and there. The other need is that my unit can keep up with the latest release of the OS. Been lucky so far, my long term units having been the G1, N1 & DHD. Currently I'm watching how the SGS2 evolves amongst the dev community though will likely wait till my contract is up.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
I generally look to double the performance plus pick up a feature here and there. The other need is that my unit can keep up with the latest release of the OS. Been lucky so far, my long term units having been the G1, N1 & DHD. Currently I'm watching how the SGS2 evolves amongst the dev community though will likely wait till my contract is up.

you do know that as of yesterday some of the cyanogen mod developers now work for Samsung right? and that google is out to purchase motorola.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
you do know that as of yesterday some of the cyanogen mod developers now work for Samsung right? and that google is out to purchase motorola.
Yup, stay on top of the mobile flashes. Also watching the CM7 nightlies thread for a drop in the reported bugs on the SGS2.

Not a big fan of Moto's tendency to lock things and it'll still be awhile post acquisition before there's a cultural shift in engineering. I figure a year before product directly influenced by Google comes to market.

At this point I'm very happy with the community around the DHD and am not in a rush to flip.

Sep 6, 2010

Hmm, just read this news: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iCloud-phone-iphone-5-iPod-Touch-October-7-steve-jobs,news-12205.html
Is it real?
If so, then why not wait some time for the iPhone 5!
Until the next iPhone is officially announced by Apple it's all rumor and speculation to me from here on out. Every site out there is just trying to get the jump on the rest by announcing the release date first. Problem is, neither one of them have anything to back these dates up with.

Arcangel2176

Silver
Jul 24, 2007

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Think I'll just get a jitterbug phone and call it a day. Lmao

Sent from my iPad

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Think I'll just get a jitterbug phone and call it a day. Lmao
I think I'll just ignore all these rumors, wait for Apple to announce the iPhone 5 event , and go see Rise of the Planet of the Apes today. ;)

Arcangel2176

Silver
Jul 24, 2007
I think I'll just ignore all these rumors, wait for Apple to announce the iPhone 5 event , and go see Rise of the Planet of the Apes today. ;)
Good movie weak ending but good movie

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yes. It's a prequel. We already know what's going to happen. Anyway, they did allude to how it will culminate. I don't want to post spoilers, though. ;)

Arcangel2176

Silver
Jul 24, 2007
Yes. It's a prequel. We already know what's going to happen. Anyway, they did allude to how it will culminate. I don't want to post spoilers, though. ;)
For a prequel so much later they did very well even though they deviated in some areas but all in all ut was good

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Like the tie in to the original story.

Arcangel2176

Silver
Jul 24, 2007
Ok back on topic WAIT I CAN'T WAIT TO GET RID OF NY ATRIX so yes WAIT LOL

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Kind of liking this look though would rather a red or blue.

uploadfromtaptalk1313846143463.jpg