Should I wait to get an iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

bubbamorgan91

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
DC
I want to get an iPhone but im not sure if i want to buy it now or wait a little bit. I have heard the rumors about Apple releasing a major update before they even release leopard. Should i wait until then or do you think i will be fine getting it now.

Thanks

GuyFawkes

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
And ask yourself what keeps you from buying it? If the update comes out and you already own the phone... Well guess what? you download the update and you have the latest and greatest. So what did you buy by waiting? Nothing.

It is rather pointless waiting unless your waiting for an updated hardware capability. Any new hardware probably won't be on the horizon until next spring. Yes, you can bet if the hardware upgrade is significant I will be buying the new one and handing down the old one to one of my kids. Otherwise this phone is very well built, beautiful to look at, and once developer support is opened up all bets are off. Any other phone you can name will become a distant memory and will quickly end up on the trash heap of antique relics. This thing is just that beautiful.

As long as you can be patient and enjoy the phone as is, and can wait for the updates then buy it now if you can find one. If the version 1.0 software is going to drive you crazy then just wait. No reason to be sweating the small stuff over the current build. It is pretty good and only gets "insanely great" from here.

GuyFawkes

bubbamorgan91

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
DC
And ask yourself what keeps you from buying it? If the update comes out and you already own the phone... Well guess what? you download the update and you have the latest and greatest. So what did you buy by waiting? Nothing.

It is rather pointless waiting unless your waiting for an updated hardware capability. Any new hardware probably won't be on the horizon until next spring. Yes, you can bet if the hardware upgrade is significant I will be buying the new one and handing down the old one to one of my kids. Otherwise this phone is very well built, beautiful to look at, and once developer support is opened up all bets are off. Any other phone you can name will become a distant memory and will quickly end up on the trash heap of antique relics. This thing is just that beautiful.

As long as you can be patient and enjoy the phone as is, and can wait for the updates then buy it now if you can find one. If the version 1.0 software is going to drive you crazy then just wait. No reason to be sweating the small stuff over the current build. It is pretty good and only gets "insanely great" from here.

GuyFawkes

thanks
i think the main thing stopping me is that i hear and read about so many people having different problems with their phone, but then i guess no phone is perfect so i can't expect the iPhone not to have a problem.

daviddogma

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
thanks
i think the main thing stopping me is that i hear and read about so many people having different problems with their phone, but then i guess no phone is perfect so i can't expect the iPhone not to have a problem.
If you use the speaker phone on a regular basis I would not get it. I don't use it that often, but it is annoying. Not a dealbreaker for me, but might be for some folks. Some people will tell you that they don't have problems with the speakerphone volume, but the again I might simply need to get my hearing checked. If you are an Ipod user and love the idea of having the ultimate video Ipod with camera, web surfing, and phone features don't hesitate. Make sure you take off the plastic protecting the screen as this has caused much frustration and controversy.....

bubbamorgan91

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
DC
If you use the speaker phone on a regular basis I would not get it. I don't use it that often, but it is annoying. Not a dealbreaker for me, but might be for some folks. Some people will tell you that they don't have problems with the speakerphone volume, but the again I might simply need to get my hearing checked. If you are an Ipod user and love the idea of having the ultimate video Ipod with camera, web surfing, and phone features don't hesitate. Make sure you take off the plastic protecting the screen as this has caused much frustration and controversy.....
Well i hardly ever use speaker phone. If i where to get a cover for the iPhone the protect the screen would it affect the ability of the multi-touch. I'm guessing not but i just want to make sure

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
thanks
Balance the number of people you've read about with issues, with the 700,000 iPhones out there.

What sort of percentage do you think you're looking at?

Maybe that will help you decide.....

And, as on all forums, beware of
and

bubbamorgan91

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
DC
Balance the number of people you've read about with issues, with the 700,000 iPhones out there.

What sort of percentage do you think you're looking at?

Maybe that will help you decide.....

And, as on all forums, beware of
and
Thanks i never thought about that.

Now what about version 2.0 if there will be one (im sure there will be), when do you feel it will come out and do you think it would be worthwhile to wait and get that or should i just go out and get it now.

D1CK1E

Jul 1, 2007
If you want an iPhone and can afford it don't you think it's silly to wait for an unannounced second version? Flash memory has an 8gb limit at the moment that will need to be broken to see any upgrades in memory incorporated into the next iteration of the iPhone. Samsung and a few other companies are rolling out prototypes of 32gb+ solid-state hard drives that are using what is thought to be the future of flash memory. So, it will come but who knows how long.

My phone had zero problems and was activated in less than five minutes. Everyone I know in real life that actually owns an iPhone got the equally pain free version. Honestly, all of these "problems" seem just as over exaggerated as the hype before iDay. =P

Get it IMO.

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
Thanks i never thought about that.

Now what about version 2.0 if there will be one (im sure there will be), when do you feel it will come out and do you think it would be worthwhile to wait and get that or should i just go out and get it now.
Based on the frequency of iPod revisions, I think the new phone wouldn't hit the stores before Christmas 08.

Really no point waiting, because the new phone will have a new price to go along with any new features, and all of that time you'd have been iPhoneless.

I fully expect to shell out $$$ for iPhone 2 when it arrives - and I'm sure those cleaver folks at AT&T and Apple will be only too happy to offer me an upgrade route and contract extension at that time.

That's just how it works.

I never regretted buying the version 1 iPod, and it didn't stop me buying a Nano, and now the iPhone.

J-Sauce

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
If you want an iPhone and can afford it don't you think it's silly to wait for an unannounced second version? Flash memory has an 8gb limit at the moment that will need to be broken to see any upgrades in memory incorporated into the next iteration of the iPhone. Samsung and a few other companies are rolling out prototypes of 32gb+ solid-state hard drives that are using what is thought to be the future of flash memory. So, it will come but who knows how long.

My phone had zero problems and was activated in less than five minutes. Everyone I know in real life that actually owns an iPhone got the equally pain free version. Honestly, all of these "problems" seem just as over exaggerated as the hype before iDay. =P

Get it IMO.
Actually, some manufactures have produced prototype solid-state memory chips much higher than 8GB. Some even more than 32. They did this however just as a demonstration to show the capabilities. The precious metals and other components would cost so much money that it would completely outweigh any feasible applications for marketing.

I havnt read up in a while about memory chips, but they most likely will be coming out with a higher capacity chip that actually has market potential very soon. Its amazing what a leap these types of chips have made in just the last 2 years. I remember when a 512mb chip was over $100, and now you have get a 2gb for less than $50 retail.

i-Fred

Jul 3, 2007
San Carlos, CA
It really comes down to what you want to use the phone for. If you are replacing a Treo or Blackberry and have a lot of demands when it comes to customizing your email/contacts/phone apps, you may not like what the iPhone has to offer. If you want the best mobile web browser on the market bar none, and the best video iPod, then you'll love it.

D1CK1E

Jul 1, 2007
Actually, some manufactures have produced prototype solid-state memory chips much higher than 8GB. Some even more than 32. They did this however just as a demonstration to show the capabilities. The precious metals and other components would cost so much money that it would completely outweigh any feasible applications for marketing.

I havnt read up in a while about memory chips, but they most likely will be coming out with a higher capacity chip that actually has market potential very soon. Its amazing what a leap these types of chips have made in just the last 2 years. I remember when a 512mb chip was over $100, and now you have get a 2gb for less than $50 retail.
I did say 32gb+. Here's a quick link from last year if anyone wants to read up.
http://www.Samsung.com/PressCenter/PressRelease/PressRelease.asp?seq=20060911_0000286548

themattman

Jul 3, 2007
Mission Viejo, CA

Get it IMO.
I'll second that. The iPhone is here now and if you want one you should get one. The next generation will not be coming until sometime after Christmas. Its rumored that a major firmware update will come up right before Christmas to boost holiday sales however this should have no effect on your purchase.

If you can afford one then buy it.
If not then you should wait but keep in mind that no matter what you are thinking about buying, there will always be a better version later. If we just waiting for those better versions we would never buy anything.

J-Sauce

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I'll second that. The iPhone is here now and if you want one you should get one. The next generation will not be coming until sometime after Christmas. Its rumored that a major firmware update will come up right before Christmas to boost holiday sales however this should have no effect on your purchase.

If you can afford one then buy it.
If not then you should wait but keep in mind that no matter what you are thinking about buying, there will always be a better version later. If we just waiting for those better versions we would never buy anything.
Exactly.

The next new thing is always just around the corner. I was thinking about getting a treo 680 a few months ago and waited for the iPhone. I'm glad I did, but I wouldn't do it again. Especially since the only updates the iPhone will see is going to be software for over a year.