should i?

dvigue

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
maine
i have the chance to buy a week old 3gs with everything overnight shipping to me for 590.....

should i?

i have to wait for the jailbreak to come out to use it since im on tmobile, but is that a good enough deal to snag up now?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Although that's probably the best deal you'll get for a 3GS without a contract, I don't recommend it since the 3GS jailbreak and unlock has not been released yet, and it might be quite a while before it is. Since you're on T-Mobile, you'll be better off going with a 3G phone. It doesn't matter if they are selling it unlocked or not, because you can easily JB/Unlock a 3G iPhone on 3.0 with ultrasn0w.

dvigue

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
maine
Although that's probably the best deal you'll get for a 3GS without a contract, I don't recommend it since the 3GS jailbreak and unlock has not been released yet, and it might be quite a while before it is. Since you're on T-Mobile, you'll be better off going with a 3G phone. It doesn't matter if they are selling it unlocked or not, because you can easily JB/Unlock a 3G iPhone on 3.0 with ultrasn0w.
yeah, i just wonder how long it will be before we can jailbreak it. i would hate to have it just sit in the box in my room and i could not ever turn it on :(

dvigue

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
maine
do you all see the price dropping on ebay in the next month or so since more 3gs's will be out there?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
yeah, i just wonder how long it will be before we can jailbreak it. i would hate to have it just sit in the box in my room and i could not ever turn it on :(
You can turn it on, and use it like an Pro iPod Touch (has many things the iPod touch doesn't, like a camera and compass as well as GPS on WiFi and voice controls). You just can't use it on T-Mobile, and it might be a while before you can. You could use Skype on it on WiFi for calls though.

dvigue

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
maine
You can turn it on, and use it like an Pro iPod Touch (has many things the iPod touch doesn't, like a camera and compass as well as GPS on WiFi and voice controls). You just can't use it on T-Mobile, and it might be a while before you can. You could use Skype on it on WiFi for calls though.
oh, so i can still use it? i thought without a sim and without it being jailbroken and unlocked it would stay at the "connect to iTunes" page?

dvigue

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
maine
im debating becasue i can buy one today used for a week for only 590 shipped overnight....im just HOPEING if i do get it, it will be jailbroken someday..

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
oh, so i can still use it? i thought without a sim and without it being jailbroken and unlocked it would stay at the "connect to iTunes" page?
You have to sync it with iTunes and set it up when you first get it. It won't activate without an AT&T SIM, but you can still use it like an iPod.

dvigue

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
maine
You have to sync it with iTunes and set it up when you first get it. It won't activate without an AT&T SIM, but you can still use it like an iPod.
how about if the privious owner activated it on an att card?

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
cant you buy one brand new for 599? the choice is clear to me if so. 9 bucks more for a brand new one...

dvigue

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
maine
cant you buy one brand new for 599? the choice is clear to me if so. 9 bucks more for a brand new one...
yeah but there are none around here and i want to get it before the jailbreak is released cause there saying that Apple will stop the jailbreak after and i will be screwed....i got to get those files off the phone before