should iPad Mini replace my iPhone 5?

1. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Member Silver

The more and more I'm thinking of it....the iPad Mini could just replace my iPhone 5. I don't talk on the phone a lot. Mainly I use it for internet, email, facebook, Skype, etc...I could use Google Voice or Skype for calling with the earbuds.

Here is the confusing part. Currently I have unlimited data on my iPhone 5 (grandfathered). I have 5 lines with 700 miutes, 3 smartphones (the other smartphones have a combined 5gb data plan) and 2 basic phones. If I do away with my iPhone 5 how could I keep the number to avoid termination fees and have 4 lines leftover? I believe that I would have to wait until the contract is over on one of the lines in order to do that...or I could sell the iPhone 5 and pay the termination fees.

Next question. What plan would work best for the ipad Mini? Would I have to get the 3G iPad Mini when it comes out or can I get the wifi version and change to a data share plan? I would need it to work anywhere I go.

2. raqball

raqball Zealot Silver

Personally I think the mini is a little to big to carry everywhere..

If you are on AT&T I know they can suspend the # for $10 a month fee. You keep the number but it won't work on any other phone or device. While suspended it will not need a data plan ect...

You can always just cancel the line and pay the ETF. AT&T ETF starts at $325 and goes down $10 each and every month..

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Member Silver

If I only use the iPad mini for calls through google voice or Skype how much data does VoIP calling use?

5. raqball

raqball Zealot Silver

Depends on if it's video voip or audio.. It also depends on the codec the client uses and the quality of the connection..

I used Verizon's data calculator here:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/datacalculatorPopup.jsp

And it estimates that one hour of audio voip calling uses 1.32 GB of data on a 4G connection & about half that if on 3G

Hope this helps

6. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Contributor Bronze

I got my mini case and the thing is tiny! It's a happy medium between the iPad and iPhone. I love the size, you won't be able to put it in your pocket but it looks and feels like it'd be easier to carry than the reg iPad.

7. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Member Silver

Whats a good basic phone to get these days that isn't a flip phone, lol.

8. nikkisixx102

nikkisixx102 Android Killer Bronze

iPhone 1

• Like Like x 1
  9. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist Gold

So far it has replaced my 5 I even deleted apps I used on my 5 and installed on the mini basically use the 5 for calls but that's rare cause I use iMessage on ipad mini and use text 4 free to text others using a real phone # for free

10. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Member Silver

What VoIP app do you use for calls on the mini?

11. raqball

raqball Zealot Silver

I use Google Voice and Talkatone.. You can text anyone for free and you can make and receive calls from anyone for free..

12. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Member Silver

I used Talkatone, but in my area it has poor quality on 4g LTE. Does Skype use cell minutes?

13. raqball

raqball Zealot Silver

Skype uses data not minutes..

14. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Member Silver

So now the question is how can I find out how much data? I plan on going with Verizon with a 4gb data plan when I buy the iPad Mini 4G on Friday.

15. raqball

raqball Zealot Silver

Depends on many things but using Verizon Data Calculator found here:

www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/datacalculatorPopup.jsp

It looks like VoIP with video (read: Skype) will use 2GB of data for 450 minutes of talk time. I would guess it will use more than that though but it depends on the quality of the video, connection speed ect..

Verizon says

If it were me, I'd assume about 1GB for every 100 minutes just to be safe and not go over the data..

16. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Member Silver

I was just referring to voice. I won't be doing any video.