Should take off my Anti-Glare screen protector?

almarlimjr

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
I'm sitting here bored at work and looking at my phone. I'm contemplating whether or not I should take off my Anti-Glare screen protector. Why? I just wanted to give my phone a new feel I guess.

I've read here that the iPhone's screen is very good at not picking up scratches. AND I have insurance for my phone so I'm a little less careful with it knowing I have it if anything happens.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Ummm, why would you even want to tempt it and have to mess with insurance? Not only that, but you'll have to constantly clean the fingerprint smudges off your phone. Definitely not an improvement in the "look".

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hehe, someone's bored.

Yeah, I go through this decision all the time. I really love EVERYTHING about the anti-glare screen except for the screen clarity. It doesn't bother me, except that I know it looks better with it off. I almost wish the iPhone had a frosty screen from the factory to eliminate this dilemma.

I always elect to keep it on. If you really want the clarity though, do what Napoleon said and get the crystal shields. I used one for a while and they're just as clear as a stock iPhone.

but keep that shield on for today. Trust me, you WILL drop it on your way home if you mess with it...

amiroo79

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Southern California
I don't use a screen cover. doesn't bother me at all.
I don't either. The only time you notice screen smudges and glare is when the screen is off. Who cares about smudges and glare when it's off? What matters is when you turn it on, you can see everything clearly and much better than you would with the anti-glare cover.

And I have yet to see someone actually scratch their screen. It takes a lot to do it and if you do, then big deal, get another one. Whether it's through insurance or another buy. It's well worth it because this is the best phone out there and the value is there... but's that's my take on it.

rennyn

Bronze
I've been thinking of taking mine off as well, but I sort of like it. I'm currently using the one that came with the iSkin Revo (still using my Seidio Innocase though). I like it because it also has side-view privacy filter. i.e. when viewed from an angle more than 30-45 degrees the screen looks black. Nice when texting in crowded areas and whatnot.

almarlimjr

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
Hehe, someone's bored.

Yeah, I go through this decision all the time. I really love EVERYTHING about the anti-glare screen except for the screen clarity. It doesn't bother me, except that I know it looks better with it off. I almost wish the iPhone had a frosty screen from the factory to eliminate this dilemma.

I always elect to keep it on. If you really want the clarity though, do what Napoleon said and get the crystal shields. I used one for a while and they're just as clear as a stock iPhone.

but keep that shield on for today. Trust me, you WILL drop it on your way home if you mess with it...
Thanks for jinxing me. I took it off at lunch and friggin dropped my phone! Just kidding. Haven't taken it off yet. But thanks to all the feedback. I always like to see everyones opinions about certain things.

I'm going to take it for now. I still have the second one for when I get bored again. But yes, next time I go to the Apple store I think I'll pick up the crystal films and check those out.

Here we go! (takes off shield).....Awww, nice! Bring on the finger oil and sweat!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
brrrrrr... aren't you cold?

Heh, another thing that does annoy me about the anti-glare screen is that my earring makes a scuffing sound on it when I make phone calls.

almarlimjr

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
I've been thinking of taking my anti glare off as well because there are a couple pieces of lint under it and it bugs me like crazy! And I'm taking my phone in again due to 4 dead pixels so ima lose this protector anyways... I juss like the feel of the screen wen I'm texting on the anti glare
Take it off! Do it! :laugh2:

Or you can just lift it off with some tape for better handling....lightly press or run some tape over to where ever the lint is....and gently place the film back on.....Lint should be gone

And please don't hold me liable that if you try the above that more lint can get up in there.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Man, they say you can take it off, clean it, put it back on... but I don't see how you possibly could with acceptable results. I mean, the backside is kinda sticky, so there's no way to wash and dry it without smudging it or getting even more lint on it.

You should see me when I put one of those things on. So anal about dust, it takes about 5 minutes until I get the screen to the point where I can't see any smudges or bits of anything before applying the screen. Makes me wish I had a properly sterilized operating room in my house.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Man, it's so nice and shiny that I could now use my phone to do BC's in my reflection.

"BC's" = booger checks :)
Aw... that's another thing I miss... playing with the cat w/ reflected sunlight. He's not so interested in the diffused beam I try to use these days :(

Geez... this thread is gonna end up making me switch back isn't it...