Should you buy a case?

MaQ

Oct 7, 2008
I have a case from Griffin. It's like a leather case that has what seems like a piece of plastic to go over the touch screen. I don't like it but the I was convinced into buying one from the sale guy at AT&T. Do you really need a case? Does the iPhone3g scratch/break easily?

I know these are relative questions but any opinions would be great, thanks.

morth58

Bronze
Mar 17, 2008
i bought a case for my 3g as well as my version1 phone. but i think i have actually used the cases for a week total combined. i just prefer the naked phone. i do however use a screen protector. I really like the mirror look- although it is very hard to see in the sunlight. as far as scratches go the chrome bezel is a little scratched up but not bad. its the only thing i carry in that pocket.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Should I buy a case? I already did and wouldn't leave the house without it. The iPhone is tough, but can obviously break quite easily if dropped in the wrong way. A case goes a long way towards preventing these types of dealbreakers.

I happen to really like how my phone looks in its case, and I love how it feels in the hand.

Plus it stays scratch-free. You want it to stay perty, doncha? You betcha.

MaQ

Oct 7, 2008
of course I want it perty but if the case is always on then you'll never see the true beauty ? I see your from philly, same here, Go Phillies!

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Normally I wouldn't buy a case--hate that they add bulk. But since this phone isn't insurable, and don't feel like being hosed and out an iPhone due to butterfingers, I use the InCase black case for my 3G.

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
heres the deal. when you travel with this thing u put in in a pocket with your other stuff, leave it laying around, stuff like that.. the case works because it keeps your phone cleaner, u can grip it better and the plastic film protects the glass from gettin scratched..

i am like you..sometimes i don't like all that bulk and carry it naked and take the small risk

there are a bunch of good cases out there and its not uncommon for a user to go through 2 or 3 til you find the one that fits your style! Philly Style.

Let us know what you find and how it work for you.

Go Phillies!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I had a case for my V1 for day one. I said "no case" when I got the 3G. It was so nice looking that I didn't want to hide it. But common sense overtook looks real quick and within a week I had a case for mine. To me in just makes good sense.

MaQ

Oct 7, 2008
Normally I wouldn't buy a case--hate that they add bulk. But since this phone isn't insurable, and don't feel like being hosed and out an iPhone due to butterfingers, I use the InCase black case for my 3G.
Good point, as much as I like the naked iPhone it's not worth having that one accident to where you're out an iPhone. Then I guess you would have to pay full retail? I've been convinced to keep my Griffin leather case with the plastic cover on my 3g, thanks guys!

sfarris

Sep 26, 2008
at the risk of being a Ditto

Good point, as much as I like the naked iPhone it's not worth having that one accident to where you're out an iPhone. Then I guess you would have to pay full retail? I've been convinced to keep my Griffin leather case with the plastic cover on my 3g, thanks guys!
i have that same case, and think it is great! Very little added bulk, the plastic screen on mine is now scratched which means my phone didn't get scratched, and it works with docks without coming off- or at worst just the bottom piece needs to come off.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The consensus is that a case is needed. If you are of the mind that you don't need one, wait till you drop your phone and you will probably change your mind.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
@ MaQ,
Yes you'd have to pay full retail for a new iPhone if you broke yours and walked into an AT&T or Apple store.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
How soon after you bought it did you drop it in water?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
What I did was when I went into public or just generally outside of my house I would put the case on, but when at home I would take the iPhone out of its case and let it breathe ya kno lol;)

ann101

Oct 9, 2008
I think iPhone MUST need some protection. The case make of plastic but it is very easy not shine. I like the slim case for protect iPhone. It can keep the outline and slim feeling. Ultra slim case is a good choose.