Shouldn't it automatically add the second quotation mark/parentheses?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Dec 25, 2011.

1. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

I don't understand, it is very annoying to have to toggle back through to second keyboard seconds later, it makes no sense and is incredibly inefficient. Is there an app (third party maybe) that does this?

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Is there really any software on any platform that does this? How would it know when you are finished with the quote?

3. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

Oh good point...maybe when you hit space bar twice instead of once after the last word?

4. mhajec

mhajec Member
    Bronze

Then it would just add a period and your quote would still be open...

5. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

This seriously bothers you? How would a computer know where you wanted to add the second anything?

I'm not trying to start anything, but you have a problem with every minute thing on the iPhone. If it makes you that unhappy and if it's that inefficient, why not just get a new, different phone?

6. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I think after reading all of your complaint threads that the iPhone just may not be a good fit for you.
    It's either that or you feel knit picking every little thing that you find wrong with the phone therapeutic. The random capitalization. The notifications bar. And now this.
    Does it really bother you that much?

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Protip: you don't have to toggle to the other keyboard to start the quotes or to end them. You can stay on the main keyboard by hitting the "123" and sliding your finger to the quotes rather than letting go of the "123" and actually switching to the other keyboard. It saves a lot of time, especially when you become proficent at it. It also works with numbers and everything else on the second keyboard. I'm pretty sure this has been an iOS feature since 1.x.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is very unhelpful and it does have the potential start something.

There is often a solution or workaround available.

9. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

Well, I'm sorry that I don't know the solution or the workaround. I was offering advice to a person who clearly has a problem with many things on the iPhone and that was to get a different phone. It's not for everybody. And I've seen numerous people post that same response with no moderator interference. I have been a member of this forum for 3 1/2 years with no problems. All of a sudden, in the past week, you have "spoken" to me twice.

Now, you're a moderator, so I will not say anything disrespectful as I enjoy this forum. I'm just going to leave it at this.

10. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

This is actually pretty cool. Never knew this. Just tried it. It's a good thing to know although I don't see myself using it that often personally. Thanks!

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've just noticed an increase in rude and unhelpful comments here lately. Some of which are even getting "likes." There is a solution/workaround to this problem (see my earlier post). What one person deems important may not be important to another. I'm just asking that we don't jump on people and tell them to get a new phone for problems like these. Thanks.

Regarding last week's issue, feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to discuss it with you in more detail.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You're welcome. I use it every day and it does save a little time. :)

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I've been using it longer than you have. :D

14. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

Are you the one responsible for discovering this little tidbit? I swear, there are so many little hidden features on these phones. Think anyone will ever know all of them?

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I didn't discover it. I have told a few people around here (ahem) about it...:)

16. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I have no idea what you guys talking about, this sucks! :D
    Can I get a screenshot or something?

17. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

You and your screenshots. Want to see my battery life or network speed while I'm at it?
    I tried to screenshot it but it won't capture the ( as being raised when your finger is on it.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Just in case you're being serious: :D

Press the 123 button, but don't let go. Now slide your finger up to a number and let go. The number will appear and you will be back on the QWERTY keyboard without having to press the ABC button.

19. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

I never knew that. Had the iPhone for years and am always finding cool new features. That will come in handy for sure.

20. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I was dead serious lol
    I didn't know that either, never paid attention I guess, just couldn't understand your guys with your fancy English and all :D