Shouldn't the iOS/OS X ecosystem should be capable of merging contact cards?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
The iOS/OS X ecosystem should be capable of intelligently merging these?

I routinely have issues like when adding a Middle Name to a contact on my iPhone, this is not reflected on OS X.

I want to have one single contact card for each contact.

Am I doing something wrong?

-Rafael

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've never had a problem with that. I just tested it right now by adding a middle name to a contact on my phone and then checking the Address Book app on my iMac and it reflected the change without adding a duplicate. Are you using iCloud to manage your contacts?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I've never had a problem with that. I just tested it right now by adding a middle name to a contact on my phone and then checking the Address Book app on my iMac and it reflected the change without adding a duplicate. Are you using iCloud to manage your contacts?
You saved me yet again, @Europa. Thank you! When I read your reply asking if I was using iCloud to manage my contacts, I went (on my iMac) into Contacts.app > Preferences > Accounts and noticed that my iCloud account is listed multiple times (see below). I'm sure this happened after I shipped my iPhone 5 to Gazelle and hooked up the 3GS that I'm using in the meantime. I probably didn't execute the transition as smoothly as I thought I had. I'm going to delete the multiples and make sure only one instance of iCloud is doing the managing of my contacts!

accounts.jpeg

PS: Should I also get rid of the "On My Mac" account and leave only one single iCloud entry, to avoid duplicates in the future?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You saved me yet again, @Europa. Thank you! When I read your reply asking if I was using iCloud to manage my contacts, I went (on my iMac) into Contacts.app > Preferences > Accounts and noticed that my iCloud account is listed multiple times (see below). I'm sure this happened after I shipped my iPhone 5 to Gazelle and hooked up the 3GS that I'm using in the meantime. I probably didn't execute the transition as smoothly as I thought I had. I'm going to delete the multiples and make sure only one instance of iCloud is doing the managing of my contacts!

View attachment 30762

PS: Should I also get rid of the "On My Mac" account and leave only one single iCloud entry, to avoid duplicates in the future?
Leave "On My Mac" there. Just remove the duplicate iCloud (second and third ones on your list) accounts.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Done... And under Contacts.app > Preferences > General, I have Default Account sent to iCloud.

Default.jpeg

This should eliminate my troubles?

Thanks for throwing me that lifesaver! =)