Show/Sort Contacts Other Than By FN & LN

Hilter

Jul 12, 2009
LONG:
Alright, when iPhone dropped down to $99, I finally broke down and got one, but there has always been one thing that pisses the utter living hell out of me: the contact list.

The one case that bugs me: relatives. When I put in their first name, say "Joe", and their last name, "Smith", all is well and it shows it as "Joe Smith". But I don't refer to them as "Joe Smith", I would refer to them as "Dad" or "Uncle Joe", so Apple put in the nice "nickname" property, which I fill in with "Dad" or "Mom" or "Uncle Joe". I HATE having to mentally map "Joe Smith" everytime he calls or I look in my contacts list to "Dad" or "Uncle Joe". (WTF would Apple put in the nickname property and then not even use it for anything?)

SHORT:
Is there some way or app on God's green earth that can show the nickname (if there is one) in caller ID or contact situations?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Why not just put "Uncle Joe" instead of "Joe" in the name field? Then it will pop up that way on a call along with the picture. This is what I do. If you don't like doing it that way, doesn't the picture tell you instantly who it is? Not sure what there is to mentally map.

Hilter

Jul 12, 2009
I could do that you are right, but I don't see why I should have to do that. Then I lose complete capability of the first/last name.

I consider each contact an entity. I should be able to put in their first name, last name, anniversary, birthday, home address, businesss address, email address, etc. It should consolidate and neatly organize information on a per contact basis. I shouldn't have to butcher (or degrade) the information I put in, just so I get the output that I want.

There should be an option on every contact that allows you how to show the contact.

If this is object-oriented, I don't understand the problem with putting a class variable called display_name or something and calling displayName() when the number comes in or shows up in the contact list.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Well, I can understand that (I am kind of OCD with these types of things also), but the nickname is in the "add" section of contact info. This to me means additional information about the contact to be used for reference. But regardless, it can't be done at this time and as I said you do have the picture to let you know instantly who is calling.