Shut up Already!

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
I literally can not stand all these people complaining about the update, the update was huge and full of features. I mean look:

• iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store
  • Louder speakerphone and receiver volume
  • Home Button double-click shortcut to phone favorites of music controls
  • Space bar double-tap shortcut to intelligently insert period and space
  • Mail attachments are viewable in portrait and landscape
  • Stocks and cities in Stocks and Waether can be re-ordered
  • Apple Bluetooth Headset battery status in the Status Bar
  • Support for TV Out
  • Preference to turn off EDGE/GPRS when roaming internationally
  • New Passcode lock time intervals
  • Adjustable alert volume
Not to mention that with most electronic products you have to bite the bullet to hack it. If you really want a hacked phone then don't update. For those of you who already did, well that is just idiotic. People have been warning for a while not to update right away.

Also just because the feature YOU wanted was not implemented, does not mean the rest of iPhone users wanted it.

Yes the iPhone is expensive, but it was your choice to spend that much money on it, and you bought it knowing the features. Buying a product in hope of other features is not smart.

Just like all of you there are features that I would personally like to see, and just like all of you I wish the update did not prevent third party apps and unlocking. However this doesent mean we should lash out at Apple, they really have done nothing wrong here. They just improved the iPhone and nearly all of the posts I see are complaints! Be thankful, and I wouldn't doubt it if the new firmware gets hacked anyways.

And by the way I'm far from an Apple loyalist, I'm currently typing this on a PC :laugh2:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
"The update was huge?" Bwaaaaaahhhhhhh! Please, yer killing me...

If I could get rid of this POS 1.1.1 update and go back to 1.0.2 and all of my mods and apps I would do it in a heartbeat.

My mistake was believing the ^%#$* who carelessly posted that AppTapp still worked after the update. My mistake was foolishly thinking Apple really wouldn't go as far as locking down the iPhone like the iPod touch.

--
Mike

Thanks for the nice post. The first two updates were needed to stabilize the software and now this update shows that Apple is now moving on to the features. Next month, we should see even better things.

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
"The update was huge?" Bwaaaaaahhhhhhh! Please, yer killing me...

If I could get rid of this POS 1.1.1 update and go back to 1.0.2 and all of my mods and apps I would do it in a heartbeat.

My mistake was believing the ^%#$* who carelessly posted that AppTapp still worked after the update. My mistake was foolishly thinking Apple really wouldn't go as far as locking down the iPhone like the iPod touch.

--
Mike
Looks like you made a couple mistakes, but where were Apples mistakes?

All they did was protect their product (as we see in nearly all electronic manufacturers) , and improve their product.

This firmware IS an improvement, no arguing that. Third party application functionality is not a determinate in a successful firmware. Not to mention that it was very obvious third party apps werent going to work (at least in my mind)

Not to mention the biggest factor of all, NO ONE FORCED YOU GUYS TO UPDATE!

Next time if you all exercise some patience you wouldn't be in this jam. Lucky for you all though, the hackers will must likely hack it again.

But really, nothing personal to anyone, but if you look at the big picture, Apple did nothing wrong, all they did was improve the iPhone firmware, just wish people could see that.

And Mike I totally understand the frustration, but it doesn't make the update a pos.

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
Thanks for the nice post. The first two updates were needed to stabilize the software and now this update shows that Apple is now moving on to the features. Next month, we should see even better things.
Good to see a fellow optimist! These forums are definitely running low on them, I sure hope we see a nice set of features next month, that would be great.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Looks like you made a couple mistakes, but where were Apples mistakes?

All they did was protect their product (as we see in nearly all electronic manufacturers) , and improve their product.

This firmware IS an improvement, no arguing that. Third party application functionality is not a determinate in a successful firmware. Not to mention that it was very obvious third party apps werent going to work (at least in my mind)

Not to mention the biggest factor of all, NO ONE FORCED YOU GUYS TO UPDATE!

Next time if you all exercise some patience you wouldn't be in this jam. Lucky for you all though, the hackers will must likely hack it again.

But really, nothing personal to anyone, but if you look at the big picture, Apple did nothing wrong, all they did was improve the iPhone firmware, just wish people could see that.

And Mike I totally understand the frustration, but it doesn't make the update a pos.
I greatly appreciate your empathy, I really do.

But there are now (many) reports that this update is bricking non-modded, non-unlocked iPhones, or at least making them unusable with AT&T.

This is going to hurt Apple more than it helps. Mark my words.

--
Mike

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
I doubt it's that wide spread of an issue, and I would assume restarting the phone in restore mode would work, that is in fact the whole point of it.

I guess we will have to wait and see the details on that.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I doubt it's that wide spread of an issue, and I would assume restarting the phone in restore mode would work, that is in fact the whole point of it.
Restoring doesn't help at all; the phones report invalid SIMs and simply will not work with AT&T.

Moreover, many news reports related to the 1.1.1 update are centered around the fact that it breaks not only unlocked phones, but all of the third-party development to date. I expect this to gather more steam as time goes by.

iPhone firmware 1.1.1 released; breaks everything

ZDNet - 12 hours ago
Today Apple released iPhone Firmware version 1.1.1 via iTunes and it appears to be pretty nasty toward unlocked and otherwise hacked iPhones.

Also, David Pogue, supporter of the iPhone since before day-one, just released a video dedicated to third-party apps on the iPhone. What timing:
http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_story=60063a68a1418ed080c995b01a36efb853a11417

--
Mike

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Moreover, many news reports related to the 1.1.1 update are centered around the fact that it breaks not only unlocked phones, but all of the third-party development to date. I expect this to gather more steam as time goes by.
So you are upset that Apple updated their software which break applications that were not meant to be on the iPhone in the first place?

Am I missing something? How is this Apple's fault?

T3Logic

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
Daytona Beach
So you are upset that Apple updated their software which break applications that were not meant to be on the iPhone in the first place?

Am I missing something? How is this Apple's fault?
I personally do not think this is a big update. Honestly I will not be using any of the additional features that has been listed so I will not update.

Paulshaqz

Jul 14, 2007
Apple claims to say that if you modded the iPhone the later firmwear updates will not work i think as long as you take out the modds like app tapp and restore it back to factory settings i think it should be fine shouldent have a problom ?

but i do kinda miss the modds a lil bit :(

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Apple claims to say that if you modded the iPhone the later firmwear updates will not work i think as long as you take out the modds like app tapp and restore it back to factory settings i think it should be fine shouldent have a problom ?

but i do kinda miss the modds a lil bit :(
That's correct. I never unlocked the phone, but did install 3rd party apps to try out. Knew the update was coming so I did a full restore to my phone to factory settings, then updated to 1.1.1. No problems.

edmartin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Everyone understands that it's a locked device & 3rd party apps are unsupported?

This is not a personal attack on anyone but I just don't understand the outrage over hacked iPhones, modded iPhones and/or 3rd-party iPhone apps not working after this update. And I'm not defending Apple but they have been CRYSTAL CLEAR that the iPhone is a locked device and that 3rd party apps are not supported. Period. So if you unlock it, hack it or add 3rd party apps, you (we) do so at your (our) own risk.

I'm not pure in this. I installed and really like AppTapp, for example. But I did it at my own peril. And, I made a decision earlier this week to do a restore and get rid of it and any of the apps I had installed with it in anticipation of a firmware update.

Mike, I hear you that there are reports that 1.1.1 is bricking some non-hacked iPhones. From what I'm reading, it's not all that widespread but I have seen some. 2 things, though. First, I take them with a grain of salt. I mean really, if you are posting such a thing in any of these types of forums, you have been exposed to all kinds of tantalizing mods and hacks; I think some claiming virginity just might - might - not be so pure. Second, there is some risk in applying any type of update and with north of a million iPhones out there, odds are that any given update will have a bad experience with a few devices. We've also seen the posts, no doubt, where the folks at the Genius Bar seem to be able to magically unbrick bricked iPhones.

To the people that unlocked, hacked, modded or installed 3rd party apps on the iPhone and are complaining about 1.1.1, please go buy an unlocked device that supports 3rd party apps - Blackberry, Palm and Microsoft Mobile have hundreds of devices out there. Good luck. But if you bought an iPhone, you bought an expensive device that clearly prohibits and restricts this stuff. Or, go hang out in a hard-core hacker forum for the iPhone - they exist.

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
To the people that unlocked, hacked, modded or installed 3rd party apps on the iPhone and are complaining about 1.1.1, please go buy an unlocked device that supports 3rd party apps - Blackberry, Palm and Microsoft Mobile have hundreds of devices out there.
Don't forget Nokia and S60 devices! If the iPhone didn't exist, I would not have sold my N95. :laugh2:

NMprofessional

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Rochester NY
To the people that unlocked, hacked, modded or installed 3rd party apps on the iPhone and are complaining about 1.1.1, please go buy an unlocked device that supports 3rd party apps - Blackberry, Palm and Microsoft Mobile have hundreds of devices out there. Good luck. But if you bought an iPhone, you bought an expensive device that clearly prohibits and restricts this stuff. Or, go hang out in a hard-core hacker forum for the iPhone - they exist.
I agree that Apple has the right to lock down their phone to one carrier, to not allow 3rd-party apps, and to confirm that their iPhone does three things "well": iPod (some features like getting to the end of the song with the slider crashed the iPod function all of the time), phone (with 8 hrs of battery life and everyone can hear me clearly A+) and a real web-browser (which crashes even with the most minor of Javascript or HTML bugs... i.e. the Developer Debug patch from 1.1.1).

But, Apple also touts the iPhone as running 3rd-party apps remotely from server "as if they are on your phone" using Safari as the tool to accomplish this. I have been to link farms such as AppMarks, Appleopolis, etc... and while there are some "cool" iphone-web apps out there, has anyone seen a full blown web-app that works well? The only one I have heard about is TruPhone the VOIP web-app, which still is not out for release.

3rd-party apps aren't a big deal if Developers change their focus from InstallApp to real web-app that are Web 2.0, AJAX and work.

Yes. I come from a long line of phones that allow 3rd-party apps (Treo 300 to Treo 700p on Sprint). But none of the 3rd party apps "took down the network" as Jobs has said he does not want the 3rd party apps to do, if he allowed them on the iPhone.

Yes. We all bought the phone knowing on phone 3rd-party apps are not available, but where are the web-apps?

edmartin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Yes. We all bought the phone knowing on phone 3rd-party apps are not available, but where are the web-apps?
Here, here! Excellent point. I wish the effort of the hackers and moral outrage of people about "what's missing" could be channeled into energy in THAT direction!

T3Logic

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
Daytona Beach
Being a developer I can tell you that Web Apps will not be the giant that Jobs and others hope it will become.

Most of the developers are building apps as a hobby. They can get more bang for the buck so to speak if they build an native app rather than a web app for the iPhone. Secondly businessses will not build apps specifically for the iPhone because there is no return of investment so only a small minority of companies will ever build web apps.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
The web-apps are a joke. They are, for the most part, useless to me and many others. Why? I don't always have access to the internet. In my office I get horrible phone service. That means no web-apps all day while at work. When I'm on the train going to and from work I get spotty service at best... on again, off again the whole trip. Again, web-apps are useless. When I'm flying for work I can't have my cell phone on the network and I'm wanting to use my phone for entertainment... and yet again the web-apps are useless.

They need to open the phone up to real applications.

As for the update, I really like it. Sure, it's not everything I was hoping for but I really dig the iTunes functionality. I also know that more updates are coming... I can't wait for the games.

NMprofessional

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Rochester NY
The web-apps are a joke. They are, for the most part, useless to me and many others. Why? I don't always have access to the internet.
In part, I do agree with you. But, as we can see with apps like Password Wallet (who offers a Mac Password program which creates a "data:" booklmarklet-like structure that can be used offline) we should start to see online and offline "integration".

If more wed-apps were created around: a per cost per year model to support developers, and apps that save data to the iPhone via cookies and "data:" models would allow connectivity when available and off-line content.

Companies are doing this, they are just slow to do so. And the money can be just as good for 3rd-party apps vs. web-apps. Any app that works and works well is worth the money. And I pay for both.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
The update is pathetic.

The volume increase doesn't even work for over half the people (see poll on other thread). C'mon, this is just incompetence now.

Only thing I get on iTunes is free podcasts, which they (predictably I guess) seemed to exclude from the online version.

These things are not what people are crying for.

Just fix the damned bugs for chrissake!

I hadn't modded yet, but was planning to after this update. Oh well. God forbid anyone should be allowed to move faster with apps that Apple itself. C'mon software people, tell me what it was about this update that necessitated the change that quite effectively it seems disabled jailbreak? Does it seem intentional to you, eh? That's not the way it's being sold by Apple. "Oops, just accidental" to paraphrase.

It is very obvious to me and anyone paying attention that they have used most of the last three months, and clearly whatever passes for a good engineer there, trying to lock the damned phone down again. THAT was the what this upgrade got us.

If you want me to "Shut up already" then convince me of how each of those point is wrong.