Shutter won't open on the iPhone 4 camera

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by Bennyboy, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I can't figure this one out, it's probably something stupid but my head is in 20 million places right now.
    Anyway, the guy I sold my iPhone4 to came in today because he can't take pics with his phone. He bought a micro sim and his phone is working fine as far as calling and texting, but he didn't get any data. Could that be it? It doesn't make any sense to me, I was able to show him the camera without a sim, now the shutter won't open. Any suggestions?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

A hard reset should fix it. If that doesn't work, he'll need probably need to restore it. However, if it's jailbroken it could be related to a Cydia app he may have installed, especially a camera/photo app.

3. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I did that when he brought it in.
    I looked at location service and the camera won't even show, looked at restrictions and everything is well there, I looked at his space used and it's showing 13 gigs available but the phone is empty, no songs, pictures nothing, only couple contacts, it's a 32 gigs.
    I told him to restore it and get back to me, nothing seemed to work.

4. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Not jailbroken, I asked and looked.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Just to clarify: he restored it to factory settings and it still doesn't open?

6. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Told him to restore it when he came in today, he said he'll do it tomorrow.
    All I did was a hard reset and that didn't fix it. Told him to restore as new.

7. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I had a camera shutter issue thing recently on a stock iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0.1. A hard-reset cleared the problem right away.

Another option to consider is to quit the Camera.app on the phone and remove it from the multitasking bar and then hard-reset.

8. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

I had this problem with my very first iPhone 4. Nothing I did fixed it. Ended getting it replaced at Apple.

9. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

The phone was working fine when I gave it to him. I showed him everything while the phone had no sim in it, gigs available read correctly, so that's why I have no clue of what might have caused this.
    Let's see how the restore goes, I gave him a perfectly functioning phone.

10. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Oh! Thats even more bizarre. Mine didn't work from the get go.

11. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

This guy has to be the biggest idiot in the face of the earth and tomorrow I'm gonna slap him.

The AT&T guy must have swapped his phone with a 16 gig or something, no wonder the capacity didn't match. Serial number doesn't match and the phone has a dent on it too. I recognize that it wasn't my iPhone 4 right away, but I wasn't 100% sure till I looked at the serial number, I asked him to bring the phone in with the box.
    I'm trying to restore it to new to see if I can fix it, just felt bad for him.

Update: restore didn't help, he can't be that stupid that he didn't notice someone swapping his phone, can people be this dumb?
    My guess is he sold is 32 and bought this one, either way is gonna hear it, lost an hour trying to fix it, like I have nothing else to do.

The shutter is shut for good, nothing is gonna fix it. Hope he got a good deal. What an idiot!

12. Dgo001

Dgo001 New Member

If restoring doesn't work and in case it is not hardware problem, there's a way to fix it. Go to cydia and add any repo which includes Ifile. After installing Ifile, go into the system files: var/stash/ and search for the idiom which you have installed. Open and edit applications.g0ipf2/Camera.app/( the folder with the idiom used)/InfoPlist.strings. In this file change the display name for any name you want. It worked for me, if you've got a better way let me know :)

Spread the news. Share. Via: Dgo001