Sick of Mac apps and docs listing keyboard shortcuts with symbols that NO LONGER EXIST

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Wanted this is in Mac section but it really applies to every Apple keyboard I own, which is four of them. So off-topic it goes.

I am a fairly recent convert to Mac OS. The ONLY symbol that is on any of my Apple keyboards is the Apple symbol on the Command key.

Yet most times whether in help, docs, or menu items symbols instead of text are used for esc, option, and control--probably more how the heck would I know.

Why in the world do they do this when no shipping Apple product seems to use those symbols anymore? That has been a big peeve of mine as I am often hunting around trying to figure out just what key is the slanted line with a tail. Ugh.

OK I feel better now!

Michael

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Thank you Patrick.... helps knowing I ain't alone!

Michael

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
My biggest pet peeve with OS X is when you use Spaces (which I do, heavily) and App A generates an error / informational popup dialog, and you get a little 'bump' type sound, but the OS does not give that alert focus, so you have to go scrambling around seeing which app it is associated with and where the heck it is. And often I can see the alert as I move through spaces, but can never actually get to it, it seems always hidden 'behind' and app window or similar.

Seems very, very dumb to me. If the alert can generate a sound and a popup then give the bloody thing focus, so it appears 'on top' of whatever app I'm in or that it relates to.

Have a feeling my description above will make no sense to anyone. :(

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
My biggest pet peeve with OS X is when you use Spaces (which I do, heavily) and App A generates an error / informational popup dialog, and you get a little 'bump' type sound, but the OS does not give that alert focus, so you have to go scrambling around seeing which app it is associated with and where the heck it is. And often I can see the alert as I move through spaces, but can never actually get to it, it seems always hidden 'behind' and app window or similar.

Seems very, very dumb to me. If the alert can generate a sound and a popup then give the bloody thing focus, so it appears 'on top' of whatever app I'm in or that it relates to.

Have a feeling my description above will make no sense to anyone. :(
yes I know Spaces can be interesting.... but I'm liking Mission Control and assigning apps to specific desktops.

About the notifications. I usually look at the dock and see what is blinking at me. For a while I had the system voice announce when apps needed my attention but that grew old... fast.

On the flip side I don't know if it is new or what but iTunes for me now steals the danged focus whenever the heck it pleases. That is getting to be hella annoying too.

But those Mac symbols really grind me. You would think there would be a system setting to basically say, "never use them, use their text descriptions instead" (or, and this one is out there... USE WHAT THE KEYS ACTUALLY HAVE PRINTED ON THEM!).

Michael

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'm enjoying Mission Control too, and getting to know my way around desktops / spaces in Lion pretty well now too.

I try clicking on whichever app is bouncing away in the dock for alerts as well - but the actual alert popup still seems to evade me quite often.

Anyway, I still love using a Mac overall - though I still run Parallels and a Windows 7 VM for one app I need.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Yeah, a useful feature to add to OSX from iOS would have been the notification system. So if you got an alert from an app that wasn't focused, you'd get a banner notification, which you could ignore, or click on to go straight to the app.

And I am on board with the key symbol nonsense as well.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
And why isn't this a built-in feature?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Yeah, a useful feature to add to OSX from iOS would have been the notification system. So if you got an alert from an app that wasn't focused, you'd get a banner notification, which you could ignore, or click on to go straight to the app.

And I am on board with the key symbol nonsense as well.
I know.. it's stupid. I had an application on OSX Snow Leopard for notifications, though, and it worked quite well. I don't remember the name right now, but I'll post when I do.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
A minor annoyance for me is there is no double tap to expand a window, and a double tap to shrink it to a preset size like in windows, although the double arrow in the top right corner is a step up.
Also I'm probably doing something wrong, but i can't figure out how to get a desktop icon on one space, and not have it on another, ..maybe a setting i haven't clicked? But overall spaces is really helpful.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I agree. Plus, I've never found the green button to be useful at all. I hope Apple can do something about this.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
IIRC I can't stand that the only place to resize the window is from the bottom right corner versus any edge of the frame.
Guessing Microsoft has a patent on this and maximize ;)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
IIRC I can't stand that the only place to resize the window is from the bottom right corner versus any edge of the frame.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
I think lion has adopted the resizing from any edge by dragging with the mouse now....but it still would be nice to have that double tap on the title bar to resize.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You can resize from all corners and from any point of the frame on Lion.