Sigh of relief...first scratch

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by dkhmwilliams, May 17, 2013.

1. dkhmwilliams

dkhmwilliams Member
    Bronze

I have typically had a case in all of my phones. And with the iPhone 5, I started off with some heavy duty cases because I wanted to preserve the beauty of my phone. However, the bulk of these cases started to irritate me. So I went smaller. Went to a Speck candyshell case, then to slim cases. Until finally, I followed the lead of another poster and decided to go caseless. I was very nervous about doing so. My phone would be susceptible to scratches for the first time. Well, today, I got a scratch, two to be exact. Right on the Apple logo on the back. When I saw it I had mixed emotions. I was disappointed at first to see the resale value of my device just go down. But then I felt relieved. My phone still looks gorgeous. I can relax now that I have experienced my first scratch. I know this sounds trivial, but it is a big deal for me, because I may be able to rid myself from cases altogether. That would save me a small fortune. I still have Apple care plus because I haven't completely lost my mind.

Sent using iCafe app

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

If you want to go caseless, I would suggest a full phone invisible skin for it. They're relatively cheap and will save you from the scratches... Glad it was only a minor scratch!

www.zagg.com

www.ghost-armor.com

3. dkhmwilliams

dkhmwilliams Member
    Bronze

I have made peace with the fact that the phone is going to get scratched. So I'm not so worried about it any more. I like the way it looks and feels without a case. I really didn't like screen protectors to begin with. Plus, I'm looking forward to saving some money by not purchasing any more protective accessories that I will eventually grow tired of or be discontented with.

Sent using iCafe app

4. Badfishy

Badfishy Contributor
    Bronze

I've been running my 5 ceaseless since its birth. Dropped it once and cracked the bottom glass in the back, easy fix. I put a rear skin/film on the back and trimmed it off the glass portions to keep the aluminum from scratching. I love this setup. It actually provides more grip as well.

Running naked is fun and beautiful!

5. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

I totally understand what you mean about being at peace after the first scratch. When I bought my new laptop and then knocked it off my bed part of the paint on the corner chipped off and I have a little dent. At first I was mad at myself for knocking over my laptop but then I realized it just one scratch. And I plan to hold onto my laptop for a while so it felt good just to get the first scratch over with, haha.

Sent using iCafe app

6. dkhmwilliams

dkhmwilliams Member
    Bronze

I do believe that over the years I have gotten out of control with trying to keep my phone flawless. I read a post once where the poster was debating if he should go caseless. His primary dilemma was that he usually sold his phones and he would get top dollar if the phone was in mint condition. So he would use bulky cases like an Otterbox or Life Proof. But he never got to enjoy the device that he was spending so much money to protect. He was preserving the beauty of his phone for the next person to enjoy. And now I have gotten to the point where I want to enjoy the beauty of the phone as well as the functionality. If I get a scratch or a bunch of scratches, so be it. But at least I can say that I have enjoyed the full experience of owning an iPhone 5.

Sent from the baddest device on the planet. My smokin hot iPhone 5.

7. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Currently rocking the 5 completely naked. After over a year of 4S LifeProof entombment, and a few months experimenting w/LifeProof, Atlas and Mophie for the 5, just came to the conclusion it's not worth the various drawbacks associated with each case. Loved the protection of the waterproof cases, but in the end, it is a phone, and having to constantly creatively manage sound issues became tiresome. For me, the bulk, heat generation when activated and minimal protection offered by the Mophie was not worth the convenience of not having to jack in a few times a day.
    With AppleCare +, the deductible is less expensive than any of the above described cases, and I get to enjoy the device in all its fantastic intended design aesthetic!
    I likely will be swapping this one out due to a screen anomaly I am experiencing anyhow, so it will give me time to see if I really can put aside my OCD and just enjoy the 5 as designed....:D

8. dkhmwilliams

dkhmwilliams Member
    Bronze

I agree that there are many cons to cases dependent upon what your lifestyle is. Some iPhone users need military grade or waterproof cases. I do not. Outside of aesthetics, the muffling if the sound, loss of sensitivity and clarity of the touchscreen, limited access to ports, and too much bulk are significant issues. And those issues become even more intolerable when you factor in the price that you have to pay for the case. Now granted, if I were to go through my two replacements through Apple Care+, I may have to get one for my last phone. :)

Sent from the baddest device on the planet. My smokin hot iPhone 5.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I agree. I just wish I would have figured this out before I bought three Sector 5s.

10. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Europa
    Some of those Sector cases look pretty damn nice. Can't say I would not have had one if I had the dough....
    I essentially just swapped cases over the last two months that I have had the 5.
    Started with the Helium, returned it for the LifeProof, then the Atlas and finally the Mophie Air.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PM me your address if you want a silver one with black spacers and black screws. It's just sitting in my closet so you can have it if you'd like it. :)

12. snowtrooper1966

Gold

As happy as I am naked, I would not turn down such a fantastic offer and try one of the Sectors out.
    PM sent, u rock!

13. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

TMI......TMI :D

14. snowtrooper1966

Gold

You forced my hand, sir.
    Naked pix for you :D

na2a7umu.jpg

15. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Is that a screen protector? <Pretending to be in strip club> Take it off! Take it off! ;)

16. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Baby steps, my friend...:D

It is a hunk of garbage, tho. Got it on there arrow straight without a single bubble. It's already scratched to bejesus and peeling up around the home button...

17. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I have never been able to get a screen protector bubble free. There has always been 1 or 2 for me. Even with wet applications :(

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You've never tried a Steinheil SGP Ultra Crystal, my friend. It's the iPhone of screen protectors. Bubble free and you have to look at the home button and speaker to tell it's there. I wouldn't use a screen protector, but if I did, it would be a Stienheil. :p

19. dkhmwilliams

dkhmwilliams Member
    Bronze

I agree. There has never been a screen protector that I liked.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

20. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I've gotten lucky with some extra cheap ones on eBay. The key to the install is to eliminate ALL dust and fingerprints on the screen. Also must install in a dust free environment. My last three installs were bubble free. I use matte/anti-glare protectors only. They're dirt cheap on eBay...