Signal Bar and What It Means

bkushner

Bronze
Jan 22, 2008
I'm a little confused about the signal bars. I thought they were exclusive to the signal for the phone but I read somewhere that when it says edge or 3G the bars are telling you the signal for those services not the phone?

crupp

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Atlanta
The bars will represent 3g or Edge whichever service you are using at that moment. 3g and Edge are two different networks thus the different bar levels. You will typically having stronger Edge than 3g bacause that network is better established than the 3g. Hope this helps.

crupp

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Atlanta
The bars will represent 3g or Edge whichever service you are using at that moment. 3g and Edge are two different networks thus the different bar levels. You will typically have stronger Edge than 3g because that network is better established than the 3g. Hope this helps.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
If that is true then shouldn't I be having problems with my calls & the Internet but yet I don't.

Once in a while I get 1 bar.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
If that is true then shouldn't I be having problems with my calls & the Internet but yet I don't.
Depends on what you mean by trouble. I get 5 bars and about 1.4Mbps internet speed in most areas here in Miami.

If I get down to 2 or 3 bars and only about 500Kbps, yes, I would consider that having trouble with my service.

If your dropping calls, that's trouble, yes. If your calls aren't very clear on either signal, yes, to some.

So it's pretty relative to each user what trouble means.

The 3G and 2G signals are broadcast from the same towers. 3G has a higher frequency than 2G so it will not travel as far as, or be as strong as 2G in most areas. And 3G is also like cable company internet. It is reliant on how much bandwidth is being pulled from it. If there are more users than normal connected to the same tower you are, your signal may decrease from what you are used to having in the same area.

I'll bump a thread so you can check out some of the tech.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
It means more bars in more places.

I'm a little confused about the signal bars. I thought they were exclusive to the signal for the phone but I read somewhere that when it says edge or 3G the bars are telling you the signal for those services not the phone?

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
the bars represent whitchever symbole is shown. i have benn in areas where the 3g had only one little bar, but then i turned 3g off and the edge had full bars.

bkushner

Bronze
Jan 22, 2008
So let me ask them, where do you see the cell phone signal bars then?

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
to see DETAILED information about your connection, dial *3001#12345#*
note that altering settings in there WILL brick your phone (so be careful!)