Signal in Rural areas on 5

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Breadbag, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Breadbag

Breadbag Member
    Bronze

Sorry if anyone covered this, but when at home outside the city I use to get 4 bars on edge to 3G at times. My wife's 4 still gets 3-4 bars and my sons 3GS gets 3-4 bars. My 5 now only gets 1 to no service at all (no service mostly). Been that way since I got it. When I hit the city great signal on 4G..etc...
    Anyone else experience this? Just checking if this is normal for crappy area on 5.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Have you tried resetting your network settings?

3. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

I live in the middle of Albuquerque and have been watching my 4G go away all day. It shows 5 bars next to the AT&T logo and no 4g no nothing next to it then it comes back and its fine.

My wifes has been doing this since she got it. I don't know if its the phone or a cellular problem

4. Breadbag

Breadbag Member
    Bronze

I don't think I have, where is this setting right off? Just thought it was strange the older phones in bad area was much better signal than mine. I had to use my wife's all last night since I had no service.

5. Breadbag

Breadbag Member
    Bronze

Ok nvr mind just tried this. Didn't help.

6. Breadbag

Breadbag Member
    Bronze

Don't get me wrong my signal is amazing when not at home. It just blows me away that the two older phones in the house get great reception. I'm starting to think this phone is trying to grasp at 4G when it's like 1 bar here if any and wont grab the older technology. Just wanted to ask before I tried another one.

Other than not using it at home it's an amazing phone and love it.

7. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

I wonder if you went into settings, general, cellular and disabled LTE if that would affect your reception.

8. Breadbag

Breadbag Member
    Bronze

First thing I did. No affect at all.

9. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

I read something (I will try to find it later and post) that said if LTE was recently introduced into your area, and you have a phone which doesn't do LTE (say iPhone 4S), apparently the LTE signal 'steals' from the 3/4G weakening the broadcast of that signal. I'm no cellular expert and for all I know this can be completely wrong - just something I read online somewhere.

10. Breadbag

Breadbag Member
    Bronze

Ok. Got the answer. Went to Apple after calling Apple. Seems one of my antenna doesn't work. It will not switch down from 4G to 3G or edge. We don't have LTE here yet. They say next month but its been off anyway.

So that explains my issue of no service. One week I get a replacement.