Signal Issue

alamarco

Bronze
Nov 28, 2008
Canada
myfigurecollection.net
Is there anything I can do to fix my iPhone 3G signal? Just sitting in the same spot my signal is constantly going from full 3G to Edge, sometimes even hitting no signal.

I know the bars and symbols aren't being incorrectly stated as when browsing pages will load at normal 3G speeds and then start timing out or taking a minute to load.

It doesn't make sense to me because I'm not moving, the signal itself can't vary that much.

Couple weeks ago I had my iPhone replaced and the old one was fine, but just started having the issue a copule of days before sending it in. My new iPhone had these issues right from the get go.

I tried searching Google, but all I can find is topics relating to old iPhone firmware 1.1.3 or articles talking about a supposed firmware fix for iPhone 3G signal issues.

Any ideas?

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
Maybe the spot you are sitting at just happens to not receive the full 3G signal?

I experienced the same stuff when I walked into a grocery store. My guess is that the 3G signal wasn't making its way to where I was in the building.

alamarco

Bronze
Nov 28, 2008
Canada
myfigurecollection.net
If it's not getting the signal fully, how am I able to get the signal for a minute, and then suddenly lose it?

Can you explain that? Is it just bursts of full signal? That wouldn't make sense though, because isn't the signal broadcasted at a uniform strength?

Thanks for the reply, looking forward for more :).

alamarco

Bronze
Nov 28, 2008
Canada
myfigurecollection.net
Test 1
Download: 1420 Kbps
Upload: 56 Kbps
Latency: 184 ms

Test 2
D: 400 Kbps
U: 54 Kbps
L: 228 ms

Test 3
D: 781 Kbps
U: 63 Kbps
L: 216 ms

Decided to look at a speedtest and sitting her at my desk it from 1400 Kbps to 400 Kbps to 800bps. At 1400 Kbps, that's not bad. It's 50% of 3G's full capacity. However 400 Kbps is only 13%! 800 Kbps is at least 27%, but still pretty bad. You can see the varying signal strength. How it drops a full 1 Mbps is pretty crazy.