Signal problems with 3.1

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Hi,

I know I have posted this already but I am trying to make a new more comprehensive post so people can know what is going on and hopefully I can get this fixed. Now, I have restored my phone to back up. Restored as a new iPhone. I have reset the network settings on my phone. I have restored multiple times. I have still having severe signal problems since upgrading to 3.1.

At first I had no signal strength at all and it read no service at upper left. I then restored to new and it worked fine. Then the phone just reset itself on it's own and then the phone was empty, no contacts, no setting, no signal, nothing. That was after a successful sync. Then I restored the phone to new and it seemed to work fine visually because I had full bars. Then when trying to send a text message it wouldn't work, then same with a phone call. Then I would receive about four text messages at the same time and be able to reply to one then it wouldn't work again. All calls go to voice mail. Email not properly pushing to phone. I have to manually open email to download new mail.

I am really starting to get pissed off and this has been happening for three days now since I updated. Anyone with advise or known help please let me know. Anyone that knows if Apple and att know that this is a problem please let me know. Is it common or am I the only sad soul that has this problem?

PS-I am located in the Chicago area so I should have no problem getting service.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Didn't you say in another thread that you had another iPhone right next to yours with no issues? If this is the case after restoring as a new device, you have no other recourse than to take it back to Apple.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Didn't you say in another thread that you had another iPhone right next to yours with no issues? If this is the case after restoring as a new device, you have no other recourse than to take it back to Apple.
Yes it's happening with both phones. Origionally mine was fine but now it's doing the same as my wife's.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Yep, take it to Apple have them replace it. You've essentially done everything they'd most likely have you do and considering your issue is still not resolved, you're in line for a new iPhone, I'd say.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Now my phone is working perfectly for no reason. WTF?

b_scott

Sep 15, 2009
Me and my fiance have been having exactly the same issues, as well as some of my friends - in Chicago.

She is on 3.0 3G. I'm on 3.1 3GS. My friends still have the 1G. So it's not iPhone dependent, it's AT&T. What gives?

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
New update:

Phone randomly shut off last night after a text message and only a hard reset brought it back to life. ;-) Bad signal issues were back last night and seem to come and go at my house. I am definitely thinking it's the awesome AT&T service. *sarcasm* Their slogan should be "More false bars than anyone". LOL

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
New update:

Phone randomly shut off last night after a text message and only a hard reset brought it back to life. ;-) Bad signal issues were back last night and seem to come and go at my house. I am definitely thinking it's the awesome AT&T service. *sarcasm* Their slogan should be "More false bars than anyone". LOL
Oh wow. Pete, instead of having to put up with it, take it to an Apple Store. They'll most likely replace it to rule out the iPhone as the culprit. If it still does it after the replacement, you know it's 100% AT&T....

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Several people (including myself) have had the iPhone requiring a hard reboot after sending a text. I think it's an unrelated bug. I'd take the phone to Apple still.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Several people (including myself) have had the iPhone requiring a hard reboot after sending a text. I think it's an unrelated bug. I'd take the phone to Apple still.

Not sure if they will replace it since it is over a year old.

b_scott

Sep 15, 2009
in addition to the signal problems, ever since about 3-4 weeks ago my phone has read crazy battery percentages (down to 50% in an hour of no use) - then rebooting shows 80% or something. Some days I'll use it barely at all and it'll die through the day. Something is up. Mine's the 3GS.

Also WTF is up with the phone showing full bars and 3G on, and not being able to get data or call? Seriously.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yes, I've had inconsistent battery "drain" as well. Like today, after 3 hours standby and 30 minutes of usage, I was down to 71%... Free Memory was reporting 68%. After plugging in, both jumped up to 84%.

The battery indicator is definitely awry with the current firmware.

b_scott

Sep 15, 2009
my phone actually died last night. All I did during the entire day was play about 20 minutes of Peggle, surfed a couple sites for about the same amount of time, and sent one or two texts. and that's it. a new 3GS should not die with an hour of usage in 14 hours.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'll bet it charged back up really quickly, though.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Negative. They probably won't unless you purchased AppleCare. OR, if you want to early upgrade with AT&T to the 3G for a discounted price...

I have Apple care with my imac but not the phone. I am due for an upgrade at a discounted price in november. :mad:

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
****UPDATE****

Was reading on the Apple.com forums and many others are hiving these problems. They have come to the conclusion that 3.1 has messed up the 3G network for the phone and people have reported turning 3G off and using the Edge on their phone. I am going to try it with my phone and my wife's and see if this solves these issues. Obviously data use will suffer but I am pretty much on a wireless network anyways so doesn't really matter to me. Will keep updating.

Anyone else interested in reading or commenting it's right here.