Signal strength

rpj795

Aug 1, 2007
Has anyone notice a decline in signal strength with the new 3gs? I have had it all day and it's been fine. I got home and I had 5 bars with my 3g phone but not I have either 1 or max 3 at home. I reset my network settings and that doesn't seem to help.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No. I'm home and have 3G with 5 bars as usual. Did you try rebooting?

AbSoluTc

Jun 11, 2009
I have an issue as well. The signal is not as good as my 3G was. I have an appointment with Apple tomorrow to get it replaced. It would have 2 bars, no bars, searching, full bars and then it would just loose all bars and go to searching. Areas where I had full bars are showing 3/4 bars. It has been very quirky. Volume seems to be messed up to (speaker).

bkushner

Bronze
Jan 22, 2008
Has anyone notice a decline in signal strength with the new 3gs? I have had it all day and it's been fine. I got home and I had 5 bars with my 3g phone but not I have either 1 or max 3 at home. I reset my network settings and that doesn't seem to help.
Yes I lost bars and 3G access in and around my home. I have a regular 3G as well and when both phones are in the same room the 3GS has 0 bars at times the 3G has 4. Also no 3G and I'm in Philadelphia, keep getting Edge

Cloverfield

Bronze
Jan 16, 2008
UK, Kent
www.CloverfieldMovieForum.com
I'm having the same problem, I don't think I've had no bars yet but I have had 1 bar quite a lot but 4 at this current minute. Very strange. Was fine on my V1. Maybe it's just the carrier still getting the signal to the sim *shrugs*

bkushner

Bronze
Jan 22, 2008
I have an issue as well. The signal is not as good as my 3G was. I have an appointment with Apple tomorrow to get it replaced. It would have 2 bars, no bars, searching, full bars and then it would just loose all bars and go to searching. Areas where I had full bars are showing 3/4 bars. It has been very quirky. Volume seems to be messed up to (speaker).
I have the SAME EXACT Problem.

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
I'm having the same problem, I don't think I've had no bars yet but I have had 1 bar quite a lot but 4 at this current minute. Very strange. Was fine on my V1. Maybe it's just the carrier still getting the signal to the sim *shrugs*
mine is doing the exact thing. Sometimes im at full bars then for a minute it will drop to 1 then back up to full etc. Im sure it will work itself out i haven't had any dropped calls or anythign bad just lower bars.

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Same thing with the 3Gs I just got, but I think it has to do with the incase power slider I put on it.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Mine seems to be better than the 3G.

Riding home on a plane last night, me and a buddy tried to see if we could connect to the 3G network while we were getting ready to land. Me on 3GS, him on 3G. I had a connection a full two minutes before he did.

I haven't had any bad connections to this point, so I am thinking the antenna is more sensitive.

Maybe some work is being done around the country before ATT gets online with their MMS service?

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Yeah I have heard AT&T is trying to beef up the network so when the millions of iPhone 3G and 3GS's are able to all send mms's at once it doesn't fall apart. Not that they will be sending all at once but you know at least a million will and now with video the current network probably wouldn't stand a chance.

LKB3rd

Jun 21, 2009
CT
I am an ATT technician and I just installed 5 T1's at a cell site the other day, and the techs in my crew are doing the same thing at many cell sites.
They are definitely beefing up the bandwidth at cell sites, but I don't think it would cause any interruptions or variations in the current bandwidth.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I am an ATT technician and I just installed 5 T1's at a cell site the other day, and the techs in my crew are doing the same thing at many cell sites.
They are definitely beefing up the bandwidth at cell sites, but I don't think it would cause any interruptions or variations in the current bandwidth.
When will ATT get 4G?

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
So will this help with mms and get them ready for 7.2Mbps HSDPA 3G? Are techs doing this all over the country? I already get amazing service where I am I can't even imagine what it would be like with improvements. I don't know if you have much info on it but do you have a rough estimate of when mms will be available other than later this summer?

LKB3rd

Jun 21, 2009
CT
I don't get any info about plans for rollouts. All I know is what I do, and what guys I know are doing. We have been adding bandwidth :/ We don't even get info about exactly what they are doing with it, but at a cell site there isn't anything they could be doing but adding bandwidth for cell phone usage.
Everything AT & T does, for the most part, they do in all of their areas, so my guess is that they are doing it all over the country.
Edited to add:
So, I just googled HSDPA :p I would imagine that adding bandwidth would be needed if they are sending out faster wireless to all the cell phones from a given cell site. They had to add a ton of bandwidth when dsl started up, because all the faster connects bogged the crap out of their network, which was working fine when everyone accessed it via 56k.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Thanks LKB3rd, that sounds promising. I doubt anyone but the people all the way at the top know when they will release mms or HSDPA, but it was worth a shot asking :)

Jul 31, 2008
Same thing with the 3Gs I just got, but I think it has to do with the incase power slider I put on it.
No doubt about that! I was so happy with the doubled battery life with my incase powerslider, until a week or so later when I finally realized it was having a significant impact on my 3G reception, often to the point I have to take the phone out of the case to use it, incase makes a good product, but the powerslider is not one of them. I doubt the Mophie Juicepak is any different, the lithium battery obviously blocks the 3G signal. Too bad, had it worked, the powerslider would be the ultimate case.

Jul 31, 2008
When the 3G first came out, and people were having a lot of 3G signal issues, there was some talk of the phone's 3G hardware and chipset being not quite up to the task, some said the parts were substandard, my question is, did Apple upgrade or othwrwise address this hardware issue with the 3Gs? Anybody know?

bubbatex

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Austin, TX
When the 3G first came out, and people were having a lot of 3G signal issues, there was some talk of the phone's 3G hardware and chipset being not quite up to the task, some said the parts were substandard, my question is, did Apple upgrade or othwrwise address this hardware issue with the 3Gs? Anybody know?
I don't think it has ever been anything with the iPhone other than made it could have had a better antenna. I believe it has always been ATT's inability to keep the network up to the task. They are working on it - I have experience. I live outside of Austin TX and I tried a 3G in March. The network was horrible - pretty much useless for my from my home office - even on EDGE. I heard it had improved and now the 3GS has 4-5 bars all the time. Heck, ATT's 3G is about 50% faster on average faster than my Sprint phone (Touch Pro and Pre).