Signals - iPhone Signal Database

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Get this while it's still free: Signals.

If you have a 3G or 3GS, it will plot your current location and you can log how good (or bad) your signal strength is. Great for seeing if you're going into a bad area.

Obviously, the success of this app depends on the amount of signals logged so this dev is offering it for free to start the database.

Last edited by a moderator:

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
I added it too. Cool idea, too bad it says I'm currently drowning in a lake on the community golf course.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I added it too. Cool idea, too bad it says I'm currently drowning in a lake on the community golf course.
Hey, at least you're drowning in the lake with a 3G S. :cool:

One nice feature of the app is that it knows if you're using a 3G or 3G S and you can weed out the signals that don't apply to you.

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
This will help me a bit more once people add locations. I'm traveling across the country in a few weeks, so at least I'll have an idea if I'll have service where I'm going.

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
service is steady all around los angeles coutry... but the speeds get ridicilous .

this would definitely be useful for travelers

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
service is steady all around los angeles coutry... but the speeds get ridicilous .

this would definitely be useful for travelers
Maybe but I, for one, certainly wouldn't re-route my trip simply because of service availability. It may help me know when I'd be getting better or worse coverage but when it comes down to it I'm going the quickest route from point A to point B. It's frustrating to be on the road without adequate coverage, however sometimes that's just what you get.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Maybe but I, for one, certainly wouldn't re-route my trip simply because of service availability. It may help me know when I'd be getting better or worse coverage but when it comes down to it I'm going the quickest route from point A to point B. It's frustrating to be on the road without adequate coverage, however sometimes that's just what you get.
At least this app would help to know if the coverage is just bad or if something's wrong with your phone.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Jfoester said:
The weather never really works that much. I really couldn’t get the weather to help me in anything. However I would like to know, if I could use this app outside the country. If I went for a little visit to Europe, will I be able to use it?
I wouldn't see why not. The question is if you want to pay international rates for an internet connection. In fact, I'm looking at the European map and there's tons of signals logged.

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
I think the point was if you're traveling to somewhere else, say on a businesss trip, to a city you've never been to, it's nice to know ahead of time that you will or will not have service so you can adjust accordingly.