SIM card and warranty question

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iphone62907

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
i read the FAQ. iPhone comes preinstalled with a sim card. will my current ATT sim card still work? i ask because i will be going somewhere where i do not want to break the iPhone, and want to bring my old phone. do you think my old phone and old sim will still work? or how can i use a differnt cell phone? also, is Applecare or any type of warranty going to be available?

iphone62907

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
nope can't swap in your old sim card. that sucks in so many ways, can't wait to type in all those contacts from my old phone :(
ye that will suck, but i just need to know this: when i don't want to have my iPhone with me, is there a way i can use another phone? meaning, is the sim in iPhone removable? is there any way i can use a differnt phone instead of the iPhone sometimes?

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Q. I'm an existing customer. Can I swap out my current SIM card and start right away?
A.
No. iPhone must be activated befroe it can be used. iPhone includes a pre-installed SIM card for your convenience.

Doesn't sound like there is a different SIM in it.

debest74

Bronze
May 4, 2007
Palo Alto, CA
ye that will suck, but i just need to know this: when i don't want to have my iPhone with me, is there a way i can use another phone? meaning, is the sim in iPhone removable? is there any way i can use a differnt phone instead of the iPhone sometimes?
That has me worry 2. If I go to the beach or something like that I don't want to take my new phone....don't want sand all over it. I guess once u activate your new phone with your new sim card (already inside the iPhone)...the old one it's not going to work (I don't think 2 sim cards with the same number will work)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
i read the FAQ. iPhone comes preinstalled with a sim card. will my current ATT sim card still work? i ask because i will be going somewhere where i do not want to break the iPhone, and want to bring my old phone. do you think my old phone and old sim will still work? or how can i use a differnt cell phone? also, is Applecare or any type of warranty going to be available?
No. Your current At&t SIM card will be deactivated when you activate the number on the pre-installed sIM card in the iPhone.

Now we may get lucky and be able to remove the sim card from the iPhone and use it in other handsets, but some people are saying it's a proprietary size and will not work on other handsets. I don't guess we'll know for sure until Friday.

I hope we can remove it, because I like to use different phones from time to time. I sure don't want to take my iPHone out on the boat when I'm going water skiing with my buds.

lucky8926

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
Central IL
I'm with ya, I really don't want to input all my contacts in manually. Hopefully they can copy the info with their nifty little sim copier they have!

I also like the convenience of being able to pop your sim out and put it in another phone if you need to. It's saved me a few times when my battery was dead (which is quite often with my blackjack)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
That has me worry 2. If I go to the beach or something like that I don't want to take my new phone....don't want sand all over it. I guess once u activate your new phone with your new sim card (already inside the iPhone)...the old one it's not going to work (I don't think 2 sim cards with the same number will work)
Exactly right. Once your new SIM card in the iPhone is activated, your old sim card will be invalidated. If you try to power on your old phone with your old sim card still installed it will say something like, "Unregistered SIM" instead of At&t in the carrier alpha tag on the home screen. It'll turn on, you just won't get access to the network.

Hopefully, we'll be able to pop out the new sim from the iPhone with a paper clip to put it in our old handsets when we need to.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I had to get a phone replaced and I didn't feel like entering in all of the information and contacts myself so they transferred all the numbers from my old sim card to my new 3g one (when I got the blackjack) within a minute or two, so I would assume they can do the same with the iPhone. Otherwise, it'll just give me more practice to type on the new iPhone :).

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Its probably just a new Att 128k SIM card. Most of the current subscribers are still have Cingular devices and SIM cards so now would be a good time to get a Att one. Not that it really matters which one you have.

"Pre-Installed" probably means already in the SIM tray. probably so less technical people dosen't have to worry about putting it in

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I had to get a phone replaced and I didn't feel like entering in all of the information and contacts myself so they transferred all the numbers from my old sim card to my new 3g one (when I got the blackjack) within a minute or two, so I would assume they can do the same with the iPhone. Otherwise, it'll just give me more practice to type on the new iPhone :).
Or just make sure you have all your contacts on the computer you'll be syncing the iPhone with. If you've got a PC and Outlook or Outlook Express it won't be a problem. It'll read your contacts and your calendar and transfer them right to your brand new iPhone. That's what I'm doing. I'm not typing in all those numbers again.

If you've got a mac, then you'll do the same thing but with their programs like iCal and mail.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Its probably just a new Att 128k SIM card. Most of the current subscribers are still have Cingular devices and SIM cards so now would be a good time to get a Att one. Not that it really matters which one you have.

"Pre-Installed" probably means already in the SIM tray. probably so less technical people dosen't have to worry about putting it in
That's what I'm hoping too. I sure want to be able to use my old phones still if I need them.