SIM Card between two iPhones? Can't find an answer...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rotobadger

Aug 11, 2007
I've searched and can't find a definitive answer so I thought I'd ask.

I just purchased a new 8GB iPhone and would like to swap the SIM card from the 4GB iPhone I currently have (obviously I upgraded). Here's the problem: I put my old iPhone SIM card in the new phone and it still shows needing full activation. It wants me to hook up to iTunes and go through the whole activation process again...including activation fees! I was under the impression that I could just put my old iPhone SIM into my new iPhone and "bingo"...I'm on my way. Seems it's not so.

The worst part about this is I spent about an hour or so on the phone with the 1-800 Apple people. Calling them clueless would be kind. Basically, he told me that I would have to pay another activation fee and try to get AT&T to waive it later. I tried to explain that I was just upgrading hardware and that cell phone companies do it every day...without resetting the customer's contract.

Any thoughts? Should I be able to just swap SIMS or am I missing something?

Thanks!

mike3141

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Each iPhone will only work with the SIM it was activated with. I knows the ID of the SIM and won't work with a different one. You can try calling AT&T and explain what you're trying to accomplish and they may have a solution.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Each iPhone will only work with the SIM it was activated with. I knows the ID of the SIM and won't work with a different one. You can try calling AT&T and explain what you're trying to accomplish and they may have a solution.

Not true at all..I can go put my sim in my friends iPhone and vice versa....if this is the first time, you must confirm activation with iTunes, this takes a few seconds and that is it. After that you can swap sims on the fly.