SIM CARD question

smaan

Nov 7, 2009
Hello,

If I unlock an iPhone 32 GB 3Gs, is it possible for me to put my SIM card from my Bell Tour in there and have it function fully with the plan i had on my tour?

Just wondering, because I know the Tour is a quad band world phone and works with cdma, not sure how the iPhone works.

Thanks for any help!

smaan

Daryn

Dec 18, 2009
Hello everyone. I have a question about my sim card and the iPhone. I have to return the sim card to work but I would like to delete the contacts info on it. I've put the card into my old nokia, and deleted every contact from the sim card. However, when I put the sim card into the iPhone and import the contacts to see that it has all been deleted.............it still imports contacts even though it says its empty on the nokia.

Any ideas why its doing this?

Thanks for the help.

Daryn

Dec 18, 2009
Thanks. I guess its more a sim card question. How is it that if the sim card is showing up as empty when its in my nokia, but put the card into the iPhone and press "Import Sim Contacts", it still imports contact info?

mikeyisfresh

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
twitter.com
juls1585 said:
all the contacts are stored in the phone.
he is not talking about storing contacts on the phone.

to my understanding, there are contacts stored on a SIM card you used with a nokia phone. you used the nokia phone to delete all the contacts, but when you put the SIM in the iPhone, you are still able to import the contacts from the SIM card, is that correct?

i'm really not sure why it would be doing this. take it to an ATT Store and maybe they can delete them off for you.

Daryn

Dec 18, 2009
to my understanding, there are contacts stored on a SIM card you used with a nokia phone. you used the nokia phone to delete all the contacts, but when you put the SIM in the iPhone, you are still able to import the contacts from the SIM card, is that correct?
Yes that's correct.

mikeyisfresh

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
twitter.com
yeah, then definitely take it to AT&T, they should be able to delete them or just replace the entire SIM. not sure which one would work best for you.

NYR2405

Sep 14, 2012
So I sold my AT&T iPhone 4s on eBay and have to mail it out. I have my mom's old iPhone 3G that I'm going to use for the week and it has her old sim card in it. My question is can I just activate it with that sim card in iTunes or do I need a new sim?

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
Not sure because remember the 4s used a different data plan when I upgrade from the 4 to 4s I believe we had to select a diff data plan so going back from the 4s to 3G might need to change data plan

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You have a couple options. Her phone is probably already activated. You just need to make (check YouTube for instructions) or buy a SIM card adapter and put it in her phone. If it isn't activated, it will activate shortly after you put it in the phone. You don't need to call or go to AT&T unless you want to use her old SIM card.

jfleming01

Bronze
Apr 29, 2009
Not sure where to post this, but she has a 4S so I'll start here. She's going to Europe (various countries) in July, and I want to come up with a way for her to communicate with us every week or so (text, facetime, maybe a call). Our contract is with ATT, phone is still stock, will I need to jb and unlock for her to get a card once she is there. any assistance appreciated.

nujsimon

Apr 22, 2012
Quezon City, Philippines
aT&T has official unlock facility, but Im not sure if your 4S is eligible for this. If so, then she can just buy local micro sim to make calls or messages. But through wifi, you can make facetime,viber or skype calls and also imsg.

Sent using iCafe app

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
AT&T unlocking information, the following was copied from AT&T's website:

"General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking All AT&T Mobile Devices
AT&T will unlock an AT&T Mobile Device under the following circumstances:
  • The person requesting the unlock must be:
    • a current AT&T customer or
    • a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account.
    • a non-AT&T customer with an AT&T Device.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device was designed for use on AT&T's network.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has not been reported lost or stolen.
Customer Specific Requirements

• Postpaid and Prepaid Customers with a Service Commitment:Account has been active for at least sixty (60) days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T), and all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment, associated with the Device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied. The Service Commitment associated with a given Device may be satisfied in the following ways:
    • Fulfillment of the Service Commitment by expiration of any contractual term;
    • Upgrading to a new Device under AT&T’s standard or early upgrade policies; or
    • Payment of any applicable ETF.
  • Pre-Paid without a Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least 6 months."
You can call 611 from your AT&T phone or call their customer service department to verify your eligibility. I had my iPhone 5 unlocked a few weeks back and the process went smoothly and was verifiable within a few hours. A little searching on AT&T's website will get you to the page where you get further information and apply for the unlock. Good luck!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Don't go through AT&T. They won't unlock it unless you're out of contract and it's a hassle even if you are. You do not need to jailbreak. You just need to buy an IMEI unlock on eBay. They are permanent and cost about $5. You can have it unlocked within six hours. It's legal as long as you bought the phone before January 26th 2013.

jfleming01

Bronze
Apr 29, 2009
has anyone had experience with ATT's international calling/text/data plans? I was thinking of getting this for emergencies and having her just keep the phone in airplane mode so she can utilize the free wifi that's out there.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
has anyone had experience with ATT's international calling/text/data plans? I was thinking of getting this for emergencies and having her just keep the phone in airplane mode so she can utilize the free wifi that's out there.
That will work fine. It's just a lot more expensive than using a local carrier's prepaid SIM card.