SIM card swap for work

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i do some construction work on the weekends and do not want to ruin my iPhone... can i swap out the sim card to an older phone while im lifting sheet rock and 2 by 4s all day so that i can ruin my old crapy phone rather then the iPhone...

thanks

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Wow, that's interesting. Will the sim in my iPhone fit/work in my old razr that I used with att (cingular) before?

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Wow, that's interesting. Will the sim in my iPhone fit/work in my old razr that I used with att (cingular) before?
Yes. All GSM phones have a "standard" SIM card. You just need to make sure you have activated your iPhone first. Then you can switch whenever.

Being able to switch your SIM card is a big plus for GSM networks. All your account information is stored on the SIM. That's why there is a big market on eBay for selling unlocked GSM phones. You are able to import phones that would normally take months/years to get into the US. AT&T and T-Mobile are the major GSM carriers in the US.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
thanks for the info... one more thing and i sure that it is not a bid deal but i'd like to get a second.. do i have to turn off the phone first or does it not matter?

thanks

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
thanks for the info... one more thing and i sure that it is not a bid deal but i'd like to get a second.. do i have to turn off the phone first or does it not matter?

thanks
Yes, you should always power down the phone before taking the SIM card out. To turn off the iPhone, you simply hold the top button for a couple of seconds and then slide the prompt when it comes up.

tarfan

Jun 15, 2007
Just Info

New to AT&T moved over from sprint could i buy lets say a razor or black jack and when iam at work use black jack off my sim card from my iPhone

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
New to AT&T moved over from sprint could i buy lets say a razor or black jack and when iam at work use black jack off my sim card from my iPhone
Yes you are able to. Spring/Nextel/Verizon do not use a GSM network. Everytime you switch phones you would have had to call in or go to a store and a rep would setup your new phone. With SIM cards, you just need to take out the card and swap it with a different phone.

Just be sure that the RAZR is compatible with ATT/Cingular's network.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
As long as it's an AT&T or Cingular GSM phone it will work just fine. The only feature you won't have on the other phone is visual voicemail.

AND make sure to dock the phone before trying to open the sim tray on the iPhone. It will only open when the phone is installed in the dock.

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
As long as it's an AT&T or Cingular GSM phone it will work just fine. The only feature you won't have on the other phone is visual voicemail.

AND make sure to dock the phone before trying to open the sim tray on the iPhone. It will only open when the phone is installed in the dock.
? I've opened the sim tray with it undocked.