SIM card swap question - please advise

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 21, 2007
I've looked around but I haven't been able to find an answer to this question. I'm beginning to wish I'd bought the 8 gig iPhone...and it just so happens that my wife's Razr is dying and she's in need of a new phone. So..the question is can I go out and buy an 8 gig iPhone, activate it with her number, and then swap SIM cards, giving her the 4 gig while I keep the 8 gig? (and don't think I'm some kind of jerk - she has only a couple gigs of music and no video - she's cool with a 1 gig Nano at this point so 4 gigs and she'd go crazy!) Would it be so easy as just swapping SIM cards? Or is there some other way around it that I simply haven't thought of? Any help would be useful as I plan on swinging by the Apple Store in the morning and I'd like to know all that I can. Thanks.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I've looked around but I haven't been able to find an answer to this question. I'm beginning to wish I'd bought the 8 gig iPhone...and it just so happens that my wife's Razr is dying and she's in need of a new phone. So..the question is can I go out and buy an 8 gig iPhone, activate it with her number, and then swap SIM cards, giving her the 4 gig while I keep the 8 gig? (and don't think I'm some kind of jerk - she has only a couple gigs of music and no video - she's cool with a 1 gig Nano at this point so 4 gigs and she'd go crazy!) Would it be so easy as just swapping SIM cards? Or is there some other way around it that I simply haven't thought of? Any help would be useful as I plan on swinging by the Apple Store in the morning and I'd like to know all that I can. Thanks.
What you want to do is very simple, here is how you should go about the process. Buy the new 8GB iPhone, go home, remove the sim cards from both iPhones using a paper clip. Keep track of which SIM card is which. Swap sim cards (put your sim into the new 8GB and the new 8gm sim into your old 4gb). Connect your 8gb iPhone with your OLD sim card to the computer and it will activate your old sim card for the new phone. This should take about 30 seconds. After this is completed, connect the old 4gb phone with the new sim card and activate the phone as you would if you were signing up a new account.

Aug 21, 2007
Thanks. I kind of assumed it was easy - but I was unsure because the SIM cards seem to be unique to the phone and because the activation process seems kind of elaborate. I wasn't sure if I could just swap SIM cards. I'll give it a shot.