SIM card?

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
So your saying you can not use the wifi function on an activation bypassed iPhone. You may need to replace the Token File (plist file)

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
A token file is the file that unlocks the iPhone functions. There are a couple of hacks that can do that. AT&T can not help with this. All activation is done with iTunes. BTW you said you have no sim. At&t and Apple will only help if you have valid service with At&t. Sorry I can not provide links, I am on my phone.

Lacrosse4life31

Aug 3, 2007
A token file is the file that unlocks the iPhone functions. There are a couple of hacks that can do that. AT&T can not help with this. All activation is done with iTunes. BTW you said you have no sim. At&t and Apple will only help if you have valid service with At&t. Sorry I can not provide links, I am on my phone.
It's cool, but I just don't understand, it was working and now it doesn't... The lady who sold me the iPhone at the AT&T store said that you don't need a SIM card... The only reason a SIM card would be needed is so that you don't have to re-type your contacts and emails and such. But, I just re-typed them and never used the SIM card. Now I can't even use my phone! except for then non needed connection applications.

guest4

Bronze
Mar 27, 2008
I went swimming with my iPhone in my pocket today. It's a 4gb V1 iPhone. Will my SIM card most likely be missing everything? I luckily just backed up my computer this morning, but I don't think I did my contacts :( I get my new phone tomorrow.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Well the only thing on the SIM card is your phone number. Try putting it in another phone to see if you can still make a call.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Well the only thing on the SIM card is your phone number. Try putting it in another phone to see if you can still make a call.
Not necessarily. SIM cards can also hold texts and your contacts. I don't have texts saved on my SIM card, but all my contacts are on there.

I'd say if you had any of the above on your SIM card, it'll still be there.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Not necessarily. SIM cards can also hold texts and your contacts. I don't have texts saved on my SIM card, but all my contacts are on there.

I'd say if you had any of the above on your SIM card, it'll still be there.
I didn't think the iPhone let you export to SIM. Did they add it recently or something?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't think it will let you export to a SIM either. It will let you import though. So, if the contacts were exported to the SIM from a different phone before he got the iPhone, they'll still be there and can be imported to the new one. Otherwise, hopefully they were backed up in an email account.

guest4

Bronze
Mar 27, 2008
I don't think it will let you export to a SIM either. It will let you import though. So, if the contacts were exported to the SIM from a different phone before he got the iPhone, they'll still be there and can be imported to the new one. Otherwise, hopefully they were backed up in an email account.
Of courseeeee they weren't backed up! Damn. =[ Thanks guys!

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
You complete iPhone should have backed up last time you sync'd. I don't sync my contacts, but they transferred fine (via automatic iTunes backup) when I upgraded from 3G->3GS.
You just have to buy a new iPhone....

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That's right. I forgot to mention that. Once you get the new phone, restoring from a back up will also restore the contacts. Still, you should never rely on the iTunes back ups for your contacts, because at some point, you may have to restore to factory settings. Back them up in an email account, and sync them on through iTunes. They'll always be safe that way.