SIM Card?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iphoneCOS

Jun 25, 2007
I noticed the Activation Video did not mention anything about a SIM card? For existing customers, are we getting a new SIM or did they just skip that step in the video for current customers?

also, "Replace current device?" for existing customers. Stupid simple question: I will get to keep my current Cingular (AT&T) number, right? I hope we don't get new SIM's with new numbers!

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
If you click 'replace current device' then your current phone will be deactivated and your old number wil be transfered to your iPhone. If you do not choose that option then your iPhone will be assigned a new phone number.

Although the phone does have a SIM try current rumours indicate that it may be empty and the SIM built in to the phone. Other rumours indicate that a SIM will be included but that the SIM will only work in the iPhone. Who knows.

- SR

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
"...Still others say, 'John, p*** on you jack, he's just a crazy Italian that drove a red car.'"

Sorry, just some old Zappa lyrics burned into my brain from my younger drug crazed days. :D

jtlax3

Bronze
May 31, 2007
If you click 'replace current device' then your current phone will be deactivated and your old number wil be transfered to your iPhone. If you do not choose that option then your iPhone will be assigned a new phone number.

Although the phone does have a SIM try current rumours indicate that it may be empty and the SIM built in to the phone. Other rumours indicate that a SIM will be included but that the SIM will only work in the iPhone. Who knows.

- SR
why the heck would Apple put the effort into including a sim tray only to leave it empty...?

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
"...Still others say, "John, p*** on you jack, he's just a crazy Italian that drove a red car."

Sorry, just some old Zappa lyrics burned into my brain from my younger drug crazed days. :D
Whoa, 'Muffin Man' just came around on shuffle on my iPod. Freaky.

(Ok, now even I am off topic. Yikes.)

- SR

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
It is not a sim slot. It is an iCard slot. Which is Apple's next venture. They plan to take over the credit card market. They are going to make small credit cards.

That slot is so you can insert your iCard and automatically purchase items on your iPhone.

lucky8926

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
Central IL
So for those of you lucky enough to get your iPhone today, is the sim the same as other sim cards? I really don't want to have to manually transfer all my contacts...........

awesker3

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
So for those of you lucky enough to get your iPhone today, is the sim the same as other sim cards? I really don't want to have to manually transfer all my contacts...........

Hi Lucky,

From what I understand, the SIM card for the iPhone is a different SIM card because it supports the Visual Voicemail feature.

You CAN use a traditional SIM card, but the Visual Voicemail will be disabled. I am not sure if other features are disabled as well.

duckfool

Jun 26, 2007
not built in removable

I just pulled mine, put it in my hermes and made sure calls worked... so you can pull the SIM from the iPhone and put it in another GSM phone... I was told by Apple syseng and ATT engin that it won't work the other way.. might have to test that in the am...

pulling is a little scary.. you jam a paperclip in there and then yank in out.. no eject you just push it in enough to get a good purchase and then pull it out.. very strange... but it works!

lucky8926

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
Central IL
Well thats good to know that you can use the sim in other phones just in case of dead battery or something like that...... Still don't know if AT&T will transfer my contacts.

yopingo

Jun 30, 2007
I just pulled mine, put it in my hermes and made sure calls worked... so you can pull the SIM from the iPhone and put it in another GSM phone... I was told by Apple syseng and ATT engin that it won't work the other way.. might have to test that in the am...

pulling is a little scary.. you jam a paperclip in there and then yank in out.. no eject you just push it in enough to get a good purchase and then pull it out.. very strange... but it works!
Thanks for the updates. Your note on howto pull out the SIM card is nice.

For me this is very important. Pls let us know about your adventure while trying to get your other SIM to iPhone. Since the iPhone is not unlocked it may not work.

What I am really interested to know is if I unlock the iPhone (paying AT&T $175) will other SIM (say, from my t-mobile) work?

I am ok not using visual voicemail etc.. The reason I ask this is because I will be taking it out of US where anyways these services are not available.

Any responses would be appreciated.