SIMplest way to put a DVD on my iTunes

bulls6pack

Bronze
Jan 27, 2009
Peoria, Illinois
I know this has been asked over and over, and I apologize. But what is the simplest way to put a DVD on my iTunes library? I have some Chicago Bulls DVDs, that I can't find on the iTunes store, and I'd like to put them on my iPhone. I know there's a way, I just don't know it! Can someone please give me an easy step by step?

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
^^^ Yes, download handbrake, then you need to "update presets", its in one of the menus and then when you go to rip a DVD, there will be a box on your right that will have "Apple" with an arrow by it. Click on the arrow and then you'll see "Universal". Click on the "Universal" for the preset that will play in your iTunes, Apple TV and iPhone. It takes about a half hour longer than the length of the movie, but is well worth it. Also too, in preferences, check the box to use the more iTunes/iPod friendly .m4v extension. Once the rip is done, it will be on your desktop, just drag it into your movies section of iTunes and your done. Works great and looks great too.

bulls6pack

Bronze
Jan 27, 2009
Peoria, Illinois
Ok, I downloaded Handbrake, but am having difficulties. Some DVDs won't let me even begin to rip because of copyright issues, and others, I can't get any farther than the 5 minute decoding process. I put the disc in, close the media player, open handbrake, select the DVD drive in the source box, type DVD title in the destination box, and hit start. It then decodes for a few minutes, and that's it, it does nothing more. Now, I have a pc, not a mac, so what is the problem? Do I need additional software? Can someone please break down the steps for me?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm assuming you meant to say that you were running a PC and not a Mac. If that is the case then I would suggest giving Videora a try. The software recommends a download for a DVD decrypter (I can't remember the name right off the top of my head) that will make converting DVDs much easier. Handbrake tends to work best on Macs.

If you do in fact have a Mac I have to ask what DVDs you are trying to convert? I know that a lot of the Disney DVDs have pretty intense copyright protection.

bulls6pack

Bronze
Jan 27, 2009
Peoria, Illinois
So if I have a pc, you would recommend videora? Is it pretty easy to figure out? Also, is it free?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I use Videora on the PC and Handbrake on the Mac. Videora is completely free and very easy to use.

bulls6pack

Bronze
Jan 27, 2009
Peoria, Illinois
Is videota the only thing I need to download, or will there be other software I need? Also is it compatible with Vista?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Videora is all you need. I'm pretty sure there's a Vista version.