SIMultaneous voice and data not supported on Verizon

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Very surprising. Did they not see the AT&T Talk & Surf ad campaign. With LTE phones providing that very same support, why not on the iPhone 5? It's a head scratcher.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
How important is it really to be able to talk and surf at the same time? I mean really, how many people do that often enough to make that a deal breaker?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Here's a great article detailing why the iPhone 5 cannot do simultaneous voice and data. It would have required a third antenna, which is found in the Samsung Galaxy S III, a device that supports this feature on Verizon, Sprint.

I use this feature pretty often. Based on coverage, I would have switched to Verizon if I didn't need the flexibility of swapping phones often.

Last edited:

J-man67

Nov 29, 2007
Delawhere?
Bummer. I am with ATT and i use the talk/surf functionality of the network almost daily. Im an IT guy @ citi. I can talk/walk someone through an issue wjile checking my emails and keeping on top of them so my desktop isn't slammed.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
How important is it really to be able to talk and surf at the same time? I mean really, how many people do that often enough to make that a deal breaker?
I use it often, but it's not a deal breaker. I care more about data speeds and cellular coverage so I'm switching.

prott1

Bronze
Feb 10, 2007
Southern Cali
I use it often, but it's not a deal breaker. I care more about data speeds and cellular coverage so I'm switching.
Hey Europa.. same for me, it just sucks, I've had ATT but the service at my home is horrible... I was so excited to switch to Verizon, but I love the ability to do both at the same time.. Verizon needs to grab firmly and pull the heads out of their booty... :mad:

josh.ua

Bronze
Sep 12, 2012
Atlanta, GA
about.me
Hey Europa.. same for me, it just sucks, I've had ATT but the service at my home is horrible... I was so excited to switch to Verizon, but I love the ability to do both at the same time.. Verizon needs to grab firmly and pull the heads out of their booty... :mad:
Actually it's 's fault. Verizon supports voice and data at the same time through CDMA and LTE but you need multiple antennas.  already as 2 for reception purposes so they'd need a 3rd which would be too expensive and hard to manufacture. Plus LTE will support voice and data naturally in 1-2 years I think so it'd be a waste for them to develop the 3rd antenna.

"Hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible."
http://about.me/joshuasmith

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
I use it all the time. This was the deal breaker for me. Sticking with AT&T.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
It appears AT&T is looking at using old legacy 2G and 3G frequency to bolster LTE coverage. I'm no expert, but from what little I've read (and much of that seems to be conflicting and inaccurate info) those higher frequencies in the Ghz range are not well suited for building penetration, so not ideal for LTE deployment....
I'm experiencing that at my workplace. I get LTE in the parking lot and as soon as I step inside the building, no LTE.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Wow, that stinks. I do use it but it's not necessarily a deal breaker for me. If Verizon had better coverage for me over ATT then I would still go with Verizon. All things being equal I would want it. When I need... I like to know it's there. It is a reason I'm sticking with ATT.