Simultaneous voice and data on Verizon CDMA iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Lotharmataos, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Lotharmataos

Lotharmataos Member
    Bronze

I recently activated my SIM card at the Verizon store to to use it on my phone 5 (I really didn't need it). I surprisingly found out that my phone and data could now be used simultaneously which was a pleasant surprise. Y'all make sure you activate your SIM cards on Vzw iPhone 5 and disregard the message stating cellular data not working. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1358239386.271848.jpg ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1358239395.453785.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

2. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

If that's the case then why don't they know about this?

Did you have to remove the SIM card or they knew the numbers?

I have a feeling if I ask for this to be done they are going to say it can't due to the lack of knowledge

Sent using iCafe app on my iPad Mini 32 GB

3. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I really doubt this. CDMA does not have the technology to do this and Apple would have known about this.

4. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Your screenshots don't show or prove much either. I can go to an app and it will show the last page I was on also.

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Spoofed carrier logo, perhaps?

CDMA doesn't allow data and voice at the same time. That image you're seeing is just a cached page or you're looking at a screenshot. Or you're on wifi and for some obscure reason the logo isn't showing in the statusbar.

If it does work... it's witchcraft!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. EverythingApple

Gold

Thank you!

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

CDMA carriers do allow simultaneous data and voice on LTE phones. However, the iPhone 5 isn't capable of it because it only has two antennas. All of the other LTE phones on Verizon have three antennas so they can do it. They use 3G for voice and LTE for data during the call.

8. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

if your in a 4glte area then that would explain everything. cause you can do both were their is 4glte.

9. Lotharmataos

Lotharmataos Member
    Bronze

Europa might be right because I can't tell whether I'm using LTE or 3G but the only thing certain is that I'm using voice and data simultaneously. I took that screenshot yesterday and I also posted this post while I was on the phone. Y'all should believe me because I'm that kind of person that would joke with those kind of things. Just activate a SIM card and use it with your iPhone 5 if you'd like to use both simultaneously

Sent using iCafe app

10. Lotharmataos

Lotharmataos Member
    Bronze

EverythingApple, look at the timing of the phone call in the green region ! I accessed the Apple store after 26 minutes and it shows details At 26:04 -- 4 seconds after. If I were ok wifi the logo would have shown because I was using my career network (it just doesn't say whether it was 3G or LTE), just just know if was really fast

Sent using iCafe app

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think you misunderstood me. You cannot use simultaneous voice and data on a Verizon iPhone 5. The carrier does allow it, but the limitations of the iPhone 5 hardware stop it from working. The SIM card gets activated when you activate the phone.

12. Lotharmataos

Lotharmataos Member
    Bronze

Europa, I'm sorry to challenge your knowledge but it works :) I posted this while I was on the phone. That image wasn't preloaded

Sent using iCafe app

13. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

try this, reboot the phone make a call and then open your broweser and see if you can surf the web while on
    the call. if you can then it is possible that you are using a sprint signal. since europa said verizon won't
    allow it.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So you're saying after you clicked "okay" it loaded the page even though the popup said it wouldn't work?

I think it was just cached. Try loading a website you've haven't already visited while you are on a phone call and report back.

15. Lotharmataos

Lotharmataos Member
    Bronze

Well, I tried to reboot my phone and followed the same steps but it is not working anymore ... I have a Verizon iPhone and I am under contract. I'm not sure what has changed exactly

Sent using iCafe app

16. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

most likely you cleared the cache when you did the reboot

17. Lotharmataos

Lotharmataos Member
    Bronze

Please guys disregard my post because I am not sure what exactly happened ! I wa

Sent using iCafe app

18. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Does Verizon use SIM cards now?

19. Lotharmataos

Lotharmataos Member
    Bronze

I also do not know why I was able to chat on Facebook, send emails And post this thread while I was on the phone !

Sent using iCafe app

20. EverythingApple

Gold

I don't think it ever worked. I think it was what rom x said happened.