Single earbud for phone use

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

randyg

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
I've still not seen a single post for this type thing so i'm guessing i'm the only one. When I'm in the car, I don't hold the phone to my ear, I use an earbud with the phone in a holder. I do have a BT earpiece but if i'm doing a lot of getting in and out of the car it gets old having to re-pair the two when I get back in the car. So I usually just use a normal wired ear bud. If I use the headphones that came with iPhone, the one i'm not using (without the button) dangles and gets caught on everything. I'm thinking of buying another pair of the headphones that came with iPhone and just cutting the ear bud (and cord) off that doesn't have the little button on it. Does anyone know if this would work, or would it cause a problem with the bud that's left.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I've still not seen a single post for this type thing so i'm guessing i'm the only one. When I'm in the car, I don't hold the phone to my ear, I use an earbud with the phone in a holder. I do have a BT earpiece but if i'm doing a lot of getting in and out of the car it gets old having to re-pair the two when I get back in the car. So I usually just use a normal wired ear bud. If I use the headphones that came with iPhone, the one i'm not using (without the button) dangles and gets caught on everything. I'm thinking of buying another pair of the headphones that came with iPhone and just cutting the ear bud (and cord) off that doesn't have the little button on it. Does anyone know if this would work, or would it cause a problem with the bud that's left.
I would imagine it would work, though I would ensure the cut-off end of the wire is not shorting out.

I haven't tested this, but I would also wonder if a 3.5mm-2.5mm adapter (male-to-female) would allow a standard cellphone ear bud to work (cut down on one side to fit the iPhone of course)?

But back to BT... I don't have to re-pair ever, and right now I'm just using a cheap Motorola BT adapter (plan to get a Jawbone). Did you really mean re-pair as in entering the PIN all over again?

--
Mike

randyg

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
But back to BT... I don't have to re-pair ever, and right now I'm just using a cheap Motorola BT adapter (plan to get a Jawbone). Did you really mean re-pair as in entering the PIN all over again?

--
Mike
Yeah, that wasn't phrased just right. When I use the BT in the car, then get out of the car and go in a store or whatever, it loses it's connection to the phone. When I get back in the car, I've got to turn the BT off and back on for the phone to recognize it again. Maybe I should just turn the BT off before I get out of the car, then back on when I get back. Kind of a pain though, and sometimes just simpler to plug in a headset.

Jul 24, 2007
Cut the other bud off

I did this today, works fine.
Bought another $29 pair for when I want the ipod use.
The dangling other bud when I was on the phone drove me crazy!

randyg

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
well I am going to try this, but for now I'm a little distracted with my new Apple BT headset! This one reconnects with the phone with a quick touch of the button, no more cycling the headset off and on.
thanks for letting me know the "hack job" works!

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Maybe I'm missing something here.... but why don't you just put both earbuds in your ear instead of having one dangle or cutting one up? It's really nice to hear the person's voice in both ears. It's like they're in your head, controling your mind..................................................

randyg

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Maybe I'm missing something here.... but why don't you just put both earbuds in your ear instead of having one dangle or cutting one up? It's really nice to hear the person's voice in both ears. It's like they're in your head, controling your mind..................................................
well, first of all, its illegal to wear headphones when you're driving. Second, by the time i got both earplugs in the call would be missed. I realize that i am in the extreme minority for using an earpiece while driving, but i cant juggle a phone and shifting at the same time.