Siri and dictation stopped working

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by hot_mamma311, Oct 2, 2015.

1. hot_mamma311

hot_mamma311 Member
    Bronze

Has this happened to anyone else after software updates?
    I have the 6s and it worked fine last weekend, now nothing. But voice memos and videos work fine for sound.

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I haven't experienced your Siri issue, and this may or may not work, but try going to Settings > General > Siri, and turn her off, then back on. After that, change her gender to male, then change his gender back to female.

Again, this may or may not work; I'm trying to get her to "reset" for you.

3. hot_mamma311

hot_mamma311 Member
    Bronze

I tried that and no luck :(
    I'm hoping after the next update Siri will work again. For now I'll just be frustrated lol

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Well, look on the bright side. At least the Siri lockscreen vulnerability is also gone from your phone…:D Just joking. I will keep my eyes open and if I see anything out there about Siri issues after 9.0.2, I will post it here.

Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 12.29.31 PM.png

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Here's an older article (pre-iPhone 6s) but the symptoms described match yours (voice memos work, but Siri doesn't). It describes how to test if your secondary mic is working.

http://urbantornado.com/2015/04/21/did-siri-or-dictation-stop-working-for-you-on-your-ios-device-try-this/

If your second mic works, I would suggest powering off, and back on. If that still doesn't work, a "Reset All Settings" might be in order.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Have you tried a hard reset? Press the home and power button at the same time and let go when you see the Apple logo. It's similar to a reboot. No data will be lost.

7. hot_mamma311

hot_mamma311 Member
    Bronze

Yep I tried all of these things before I posted.
    When I'm in my car Siri will work through the car mic. So weird how it just stopped.

8. hot_mamma311

hot_mamma311 Member
    Bronze

Thought I'd update-

Finally brought my phone into the apple store and it failed the audio test so they replaced it.