Siri App for Android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JWiPhone, Dec 31, 2011.

1. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

Don't look now, but Google's Android App Store has a Siri clone. This isn't the first time they've allowed material that is clearly a voilation of copyright. This might be the worst offense I've seen.

Android Siri

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

This just shows what's wrong with the Google App Market.

3. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I thought it doesn't work, why would they want it?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's an open market, which facilitates scams, malware and rip-offs.

5. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

oh yeah, I forgot about that.
    Guess they better grab it while they can, it's the closest thing they'll get to Siri, the icon.

6. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Malware being the keyword. Android OS is terrible for malware, it made me laugh when I found out you could buy anti-malware/virus software for an Android tab :p

7. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Cult of Mac has a BS agenda to slander using the thinnest threads if not outright lies.

Here's a search for Siri on the Android market from my phone.

[​IMG]

Iris is a legitimate effort affiliated with XDA (Android parallel to Cydia) released about a week after Siri. Think of it as imitation and flattery.

As for this BS about an "official" Siri on the Android market, couldn't find it in the first 60 listings after which I gave up. Maybe it's in the Chinese market but over there you've bigger risks such as inadvertently buying a knock off iPhone passing as "official".

As for the malware. We've got a different take on that but enough for this post.

Sent from my mobilephone using Tapatalk

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

My sister has Iris on her EVO 4G. It's no Siri. We sat there for about an hour comparing the two.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

iP5, maybe it has already been pulled, just as these have been?

10. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

yes....because iFart, Pull my Finger and SimStapler are so much not like ripoffs. Let's not forget FatBurner2k that says if you put your phone against your belly it creates ultrasonic sounds that melt the fat away.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, I wasn't referring to "dumb" apps. There are a plethora of them in the App Store. I was referring to malicious software and stolen/pirated apps. Google makes it easy to pirate apps.

12. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

Ever heard of xxxxxxxxx or xxxxxxxxxx? Pretty easy to pirate for the iPhone too. You said "facilitates scams, malware and rip-offs." I was simply pointing out that rip-offs get into the Apple app store also. You think a ultrasonic fat burner or a app that claims to help a bald guy grow hair isn't a rip-off? Heck, a app just got pulled that basically facilitated installing pirated ROM's onto a stock, non jailbroken iPhone.

13. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Possible though after only a day and from the OP article that it's only in the Chinese market, I'd guess that it might show up if I was located in China.

Either way I just don't get the connection to "official". Official would require that Google is listed as the developer. In my earlier screenshot, the vendor's name is below the app name. I've never heard of any app successfuly hijacking and posing as developed by Google in the Android market.

The Chinese market is an absolute wild west. I think I've heard something about China looking at taking Android and forking their own branch. Samsung and South Korea also delve into these waters. Both countries having issues with American based companies dictating a very important technology.

14. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Let's not forget the App Store apps that sell the music for the old Atari and Sega games. How many people bought those on the expectation that it was the game having missed the fine print about it being music. ;)

The other equalizer would be that poop game app.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I am well aware of that app. Apple goes to great lengths to try to prevent pirating. It is one of the main reasons jailbreaking has become more difficult over time (new bootrom and SHSH requirements). It is more difficult on iOS and jailbreaking is required. Google makes it easy. Antivirus programs and app scanning are necessary due to the nature of the open market.

16. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

You are also missing the part about the dumb people. no antivirus or app scanner is going to stop someone from clicking a link that says install this app. Side loaded or not. Those people that got scammed in your link clicked a link that side loaded the SMS program. They did it to themselves. No antivirus would help that. Until Apple makes a way to return crap apps, the possibility, and the probability of us being scammed is high. Most of us have already been scammed by a crap app that didn't do what it was supposed to. It's just as bad.

17. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

18. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

It's so easy to provide the URLs to these apps since the Android Market is web manageable from any desktop at http://market.Android.com/. A link to these claims would make a damning situation self evident and something that's mostly spin also fully open.

As for the SMS scams, I actually make heavy use of this Craigslist app http://goo.gl/8koGF.
    I recently found that some of the ad banners lead to paid SMS services which I absolutely abhor. I think the difference between this and the earlier pulled apps was that those had the ability to authorize these services from your phone as if you actually bought in.

I really don't understand how these services are tolerated by government/consumer advocacy orgs. It so easy to type in the cell number of someone you hate and stick them on these very expensive recurring services.

19. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Similar? I don't know.

uploadfromtaptalk1325461311288.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1325461333059.jpg

20. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Here's the original offender. I see why "official"became an issue.

[​IMG]