Siri Audio Activation Prompts Missing Since Upgrade to iOS 9

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Nrevezzo, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Nrevezzo

Nrevezzo Member
    Bronze

Since upgrading my iPhone 5S to iOS 9 I no longer get the audio prompts when activating Siri. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Have you tried tapping the screen? That works for me. The mic is smaller lower down on the screen.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442674363.255313.jpg

Siri will prompt you without the mic.

3. Nrevezzo

Nrevezzo Member
    Bronze

Thanks, tried that but it still doesn't give an activation tone. Siri works fine and responds to my questions. It just doesn't produce the familiar beep when activated either initially or when the mic is tapped. I tried restarting my phone but it had no effect.

4. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I don't have it either. Honestly don't miss it.

5. kerriberri

kerriberri Contributor
    Bronze

I noticed this too and it's like this on my husbands and daughters phones as well. I kind of miss it since I use that sound while I'm driving as an indicator as to when to start talking so j don't have to look at the screen. I did just ask Siri where her sound went and this is the response I got..
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1442693702.431852.jpg

I may have giggled at her answer

6. Gil

Gil Member
    Bronze

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1442730080.894840.jpg
    Siri has become naughty. She won't talk and can't explain why

7. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

Ya, I miss the sound also

8. Gil

Gil Member
    Bronze

I have gone back to my 5s and updated to iOS 9.0. Strangely I can get the voice feedback from Siri in the 5s but not the 6 plus. I have put both phones side by side to ensure I have not missed anything in the settings but the settings are all the same. Strange. Anyone missing Siri's voice on a 5s?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Resetting your settings will fix this problem.
    Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

You won't lose any data. It's just settings. You'll need to reset your wallpaper, ringtones, add you WiFi passwords back in and a few other things.

Did you guys do OTA updates rather than updating in iTunes? OTA updates seem to be more problematic, especially with big updates like this.

10. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

So I reset my phone last night. Went through all the trouble, had to put all the stuff you mentioned back, etc. The audio prompt returned...until this morning. It's gone again. What a pain.
    Yet the iPad still has the prompt. Can't figure that out.

I also noticed different features in my Gmail from my phone to my iPad. But that's a different thread I guess. (Phone Gmail is better)

11. Nrevezzo

Nrevezzo Member
    Bronze

I did the 9.0 update OTA. I'm currently doing the 9.01 update through iTunes. I'll let you know if it fixes the issue. Interestingly, when using headphones with Siri the audio prompts play.

12. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

That's strange. I must say its the first time I ever had an issue with an iOS update..... Wait, 9.0.1?????
    Already????

13. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

Ok, I'm on 9.0.1 on both phone and pad. Still only have the audio prompt on the iPad - nothing on the phone. Disappointed.

14. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

So as it turns out, Siri going mute on the iPhone is by design. I've read it on a few different places on the web. In fact if you ask Siri "Siri, where are your beeps?" , she will reply things like "it much quiter this way".
    But why does the iPad still beep, I wonder?
    http://ios9news.net/missing-siri-beep-sound/

15. Gil

Gil Member
    Bronze

I updated the iOS 9 on both the 5s and 6plus. Strangely I get Siri's voice on the 5s and not the 6plus. I've put both phones and checked the settings side by side over and over again, done "reset all settings" on the 6plus only but can't get Siri to talk. Let us know from each other the phones that the voice is missing. I suspect it is the 6 and 6 plus that have this problem.

16. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

I don't think it is a "problem". Our friend GOOGLE tells us it is by design on the 6 and 6+
    And I also read that iPads still beep due to the fact that they don't have built in vibration motors, which makes sense. There is a lot of stuff on line now regarding this.

17. Gil

Gil Member
    Bronze

If this is by design then it's too bad. Hope they change it. Just updated to 9.0.1 but the problem is still there.

18. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

19. Gil

Gil Member
    Bronze

The other problem I have apart from losing Siri's voice, is that when I update my Apps OTA on the phone and synchronize with laptop in iTunes, the Apps don't upload into the iTunes and requires a second upload from the store in iTunes. Even backing up does not resolve it. With iOS 8 iTunes used to ask to tell you you apps that are on the phone that are on the phone that are not in the library and whether you want them to be downloaded. Now you are not asked; and the apps are not downloaded.

20. Ron7624

Ron7624 Member
    Bronze

Well, thanks for the discussion and clarification. I miss it on my iPhone as well. Too bad it is by design, I did like it.