Siri cannot make up her mind.

Discussion in 'iPhone 7' started by iPutz, Dec 16, 2016.

1. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I apologize in advance for this being such a long post but the problem is kind of difficult to describe otherwise.

A week ago if I asked Siri to "Send a text to Kevin XXXX" she would respond with "What do you want to say to Kevin XXXX" and I would speak my message and Siri would send it no problem. Starting a couple days ago she would come back with a request for me to choose between three numbers listed as "Mobile, Mobile and iPhone", no numbers just the words. Kevin only has a single phone number in his contact info labeled as "Mobile". This had never happened before so I tried it a couple more times and last night I finally decided that the contact info in the phone or iCloud had possibly gotten corrupted. During all of this my wife's iPhone 6 was responding as it always has when her phone's Siri was requested to send a text to Kevin XXXX. I removed the contact from my phone, checked iCloud and indeed, the contact had been removed. I then reentered the contact info in the phone and tried again with the same result, Siri was asking me to choose between three numbers for the same person. I then found that the same thing was happening when trying to text my wife from my phone via Siri, she also has only one phone number listed as mobile in her contact info. This morning I moved all of my contacts back into MS Outlook turned off the Contact and Calendar toggles in iCloud on the iPhone and uninstalled iCloud from my PC then synced the phone to Outlook and I was still having the same problem. A couple hours later I had resigned myself to call AppleCare+ and the phone must have heard me because all of a sudden it is working normally again. Is the phone possessed, am I going crazy or maybe getting senile? The phone is an iPhone 7 running iOS 10.2. This was also happening before I updated to iOS 10.2. I purchased the phone new at the end of September, from my local Apple store. Any thoughts??

2. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

My bad for not posting the solution I used about a week after my initial post last December. I ended up restoring the phone to factory condition followed by installing a recent backup which is what finally cured the problem. I'm not sure what the cause of the problem was but the restore was the solution that worked.

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I had a recent issue where when I asked Siri to call my wife, she would say, "There's a problem." If I told her Rhonda was my wife, she would say she already knew that. But could not call, "my wife". She would call if I said, "Call my spouse.". LOL I had everything in the contact card set correct. I eventually did two things. First I went to settings > iCloud and toggled contacts off. Chose delete from phone. Then toggled back on. Then I went to settings > Siri and toggled Siri off, then back on. One of those fixed it. She will now call my wife when I ask her to.